Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro
Manual mode
1/200"
F16
ISO 200
Canon 430EX: On, Fired
HH
ACR & CS5

I found this as a wandering caterpillar and brought it inside to pupae. This is the freshly eclosed butterfly.

Shot in my lightbox with the flash aimed straight up.

Cropped, curves to get the BG nice and white, SH, contrast, smart and high-pass sharpening.

<iframe width="468" scrolling="no" height="60" frameborder="0" style="border:none;" border="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1739" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0"><p>Your browser does not support iFrame.</p></iframe>

Jonathan Ashton
10-16-2012, 03:09 AM
Well composed and just about perfect focus. The background is perfectly clear, I sense the twig and the butterfly are perhaps just a tad bright, there is almost a "whiteness" over the them, I have taken the liberty of modifying slightly. I selected the background then inverted the selection and applies a Levels layer, I simply pulled the centre point of the Histogram to the right couple of notches. - what do you think?

bhavya joshi
10-16-2012, 07:31 AM
Beautiful image... Light Box Effects always Enhanced the Subject. Agree with Jonathon, about Brightness parts, but Overall Nice image..:)

Ken Childs
10-16-2012, 04:07 PM
Jon, thanks for taking the time to work on this.

I think both versions look good but mine is closer to what the 'fly really looked like. This butterfly had just eclosed and the final colors hadn't set yet so I tried to resist the urge to boost the contrast and darken it up. It was tough! The stick was also naturally light but darkening it is probably a good idea.

Marina Scarr
10-16-2012, 06:16 PM
I have to agree with Ken on this one. Great focus and subject, but the lighting is looking better in the RP.

Steve Maxson
10-17-2012, 04:46 PM
Hi Ken. It's great to see you back here again! You nailed the focus on this one with excellent sharpness throughout. Both versions have their merits - if you think the first is more accurate, then I would agree with you about darkening the stick a little. Very well done! :cheers: