Melissa Groo
10-15-2012, 11:48 AM
Canon 1D4
500mm +2x
Gitzo 3530LS + full Wimberley

ISO 800
1/1250 sec
f/10

Taken last Feb while out with Shadle and Cheryl Molennor and a couple others on Alafia Banks, Tampa. We had a bit of a dud day due to poor light and not too many birds, but despite those factors, Shadle still managed to create some opportunities for us. Here we were standing in the water with our tripods, and I caught these oystercatchers having a chat as they strolled along. A rare use of my 2x TC, which I think I need to pull out more often. Just discovered this as I was gathering pics for a publication. I wonder what others think of the birds against the dark background. I liked the graphic quality of it with those red bills just popping out.
Sharpening, NR, some minor beach clean up.
Thanks so much in advance for any comments and critiques.

<iframe width="468" scrolling="no" height="60" frameborder="0" style="border:none;" border="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1717" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0"><p>Your browser does not support iFrame.</p></iframe>

Ivan Ellison
10-15-2012, 12:03 PM
I like it Melissa. It is indeed a striking shot. the BG sets them off and I think the green patches just break it up a bit instead of all black.The birds are great with their legs raised -almost marching in step, and their beaks open, the bits of sand give it some movement. Well exposed, you have got detail in both whites and blacks, great POV.

David Salem
10-15-2012, 03:10 PM
Very cool action shot. Love the red bills against the dark BG. Techs look great as dose the details. Well done

dankearl
10-15-2012, 06:51 PM
Wild looking poses against the dark BG.
Pretty unique and the IQ looks fine with the 2x.
Although I don't use it much, I think some Gaussion blur on the BG would smooth out the noise
in the green area's and with the dark BG it would not look unreal.

Robert Holguin
10-15-2012, 10:49 PM
Wonderful shot.
Love the action captured and the birds have this 3-D look to them against the dark background. Exposed very well and IQ looks good.
A small of amount of noise in the greens as stated by Dan already.
Well done.

Jonathan Ashton
10-16-2012, 03:27 AM
Sometimes the black background works sometimes it doesn't but in this case I think it does. A very eye catching image, the interaction between the birds is enhanced by the sand grains flying against the black background.

Satish Ranadive
10-16-2012, 07:34 AM
Wonderful image with dark backdrop.
Love the colors,nice details,flying sand and above all their expression;giving the impression that they are discussing some serious matter.

Regards,
Satish.

gail bisson
10-16-2012, 08:06 AM
Hi Melissa,
I have looked at this image a couple of times and I really like the poses and the flying bits of sand.
Excellent IQ with the 2X.Perfect exposure as well. Good POV.
The nails look like they have had black nail polish applied!
There is lots to like here but I find the black BG makes the oystercatchers look like a cutout. Almost too much of a 3D, if that makes sense,
Gail

Craig Kerr
10-16-2012, 10:36 AM
I like the detail is the image, sand granules, and the wonderful interaction between these two... Your timing is near perfect, both feet up

Cheryl Arena Molennor
10-16-2012, 07:02 PM
Melissa I really really like this image. the story and action is so cool . I really like the flying sand , open bills and the raised feet as well as the dark BG. I see a couple spots from cloning you may have missed. The front leg of the rear bird still has a small piece of a stick not fully removed and the rear leg at the snad line looks a little funny. No big deals just a little tweaking on the cleanup. Cool shot girl it almost looks 3d

Marina Scarr
10-16-2012, 07:04 PM
I love the behavior you have captured here and the birds just pop right off of the screen. While I agree with Gail that it looks as though the birds were cut out and pasted, I like the effect. It's looking to me as though you may have had quite a bit of noise to deal with in your original image b/c there seem to be hints of NR. The raised feet, open beaks and kicked up sand are a huge plus. Agree with Cheryl on the beach clean up.

Melissa Groo
10-16-2012, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the feedback, folks. I think I actually (and uncharacteristically) did not run any NR on the BG--but should have, as several point out. I think at least one spot you see, Cheryl, was the incomplete removal of a bit of debris.
I respect your point about not being sold on the 3D aspect, Gail, but I do like the effect of it, that's a lot of what drew me to it.
Thanks again, all.

Karl Egressy
10-17-2012, 06:36 AM
I like the pose of both with their beak open and their foot raised, Melissa. I'm not sure about the dark background here.