PDA

View Full Version : A closeby look at our favorite nycticorax

Jack Breakfast
10-15-2012, 09:45 AM
Greetings, fine folks! This is my first pictorial post in some time and I wonder if you might assist me compositionally; I am vaguely stymied. First please know that I had to dig up the old camera here, Nikon D90, 70-300VR. Ack! But a decent guy in a pinch, that's for sure. This picture was taken at 220mm (!!!!), iso400, 1/320, f8. I am the heron whisperer, but that's another story. Anyhow! I am reluctant to chop off any of the bird's crazy white capfeather (not a technical term) but also I'm not thrilled about this bozo being quite so centered? I do like the picture as-is, but I'm sure there's a better way...I suppose I should have zoomed out/moved back in the moment, but I was so dreadfully excited and shaky and weird about the close encounter that clear and forward thinking was practically out of the question! Anyhow, I'll welcome your input and ideas. I do suppose I could add canvas to the top, the left, et cetera? Also, how are we doing in the blue cast department? Never paid attention to such prior to joining this fine forum, but I see the value of cast avoidance now. How do the white underbeak feathers look on your monitors, may I ask? Many thanks (in advance) for your gracious help! P.S. At first I was worried when the black-crowned night heron let me get closer and closer and closer still. I thought perhaps the poor Toronto bird was demented, or worse? But no! After indulging me for a few moments he flew away and squawked while doing so!

Vivaldo Damilano
10-15-2012, 10:08 AM
Hi Jack, it's a crazy looking bird when taken so close-up. I like the comp as is, don't have any new ideas unfortunately. I really love those the huge eye's TFS.

Karl Egressy
10-15-2012, 10:36 AM
Very nice close up, Jack Love the eyes and details on the forehead.

Daniel Cadieux
10-15-2012, 06:48 PM
Quite "in-your-face"!! I can understand your excitement...these guys are not normally so tame up here. That plume, although interesting, does not add much by including so much of it and for that reason I would have taken some verticals at the time of capture. Yes to a bluish cast. In "Color Balance" I added +14 yellow and reduced -18 cyan and liked it. Very well exposed, lots of nice details, and love those eyes!!

Robert Holguin
10-15-2012, 10:56 PM
Sweet shot Jack.
Love the stare it's giving you, excellent details, and dof.
Well done.

Satish Ranadive
10-16-2012, 05:14 AM
Excellent image.Beautiful eyes and background.Love it.

Regards,
Satish.