PDA

View Full Version : For My Love

Don Lacy
10-14-2012, 10:56 PM
Royal Tern coming in to the the colony with a nice Menhaden bait fish to offer a willing partner. Since I am a lousy BIF photographer I am happy whenever I get a decent image:S3:

1D MKIII, 500 f/4, 1/4000 at f/5.6, Manual Mode, Evaluative Metered, cropped

Stu Bowie
10-15-2012, 12:30 AM
Hi Don, great flying pose, and well eposed too. You have brought out the eye nicely, and good to see the catch with the head showing this side. I do find the white surf line interesting the tern a little distracting, as my eye keeps going there. I would still take this any day.

David Salem
10-15-2012, 01:44 AM
Nice flight shot. The fish facing us is a big bonus. Wing position, HA and catch light are great and the head is nice and sharp. Exposure looks good too but I think the light angle may have been a bit high. Great Job.

Satish Ranadive
10-15-2012, 05:24 AM
Excellent flight pose.Love the details in whites,wing position and the fish.

Regards,
Satish.

Randy Stout
10-15-2012, 07:27 AM
Don:

Excellent pose, fish. Nicely framed.

I have almost the impression of a gauzy effect on the raised wing, just slightly diffused. May be an optical illusion from the surf behind the wing. Did you need to do any masking of the bird from the BG, or noise reduction? How big of crop?

I think you did a very good job on this BIF, just keep working at it!

Cheers

Randy

Vivaldo Damilano
10-15-2012, 10:16 AM
Gorgeous pose, wing position and catch adds so nicely. I am also thinking light angle could have been better but would also take this shot anyday.

Don Lacy
10-15-2012, 10:30 AM
Hi Randy, No masking no NR and a medium crop about 70% of original image is posted. Thanks for your comments I believe what you are seeing is either an optical illusion or the wings are at the edge of DOF for the aperture I used making them slightly softer.

Bill Dix
10-15-2012, 04:07 PM
Good BIF, with nice wing position and fish turned the right way. White surf line is a little distracting, I agree. Don't know if it would be possible to darken the BG a little without making the bird look pasted on.

Karl Egressy
10-15-2012, 04:40 PM
Nice flight shot, Don. The orientation of the fish is good showing the head. Love the background as well although I wish the lighter colour strip would be either above or beloww the bird.

Jim Crosswell
10-15-2012, 05:16 PM
I like the flight angle, catch, wing postion, exposure and composition. Well done Don.

Daniel Cadieux
10-15-2012, 06:28 PM
Very nice Don, good wing position and the fish prey with its head towards us is always a good bonus. I see what Randy means about the wing, seems like some random illusion. Although very minor, there is a highlight between the eye and the bill that bugs me a bit...easy fix with the patch or clone tools. I do not want to highjack your wonderful photo, so here is simply a link to a thread I posted earlier this year that shows a not-so-happy ending to for eager offerer!:e3

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/98466-Nice-Guys-Finish-Last-Royal-Terns?highlight=royal+terns

Sanjeevprakash
10-15-2012, 08:04 PM
Beautiful Flight pose,Don.The Fish in the beak is a bonus.Well done.TFS

Cheryl Arena Molennor
10-17-2012, 03:54 PM
Nice Don and getting the fish face facing us is a plus.