PDA

View Full Version : Red Poppy

Nancy Bell
10-14-2012, 05:07 PM
Here is my imitation of Georgia O'Keefe and her huge, dramatic flowers. I used Topaz simplify 4, buz sim & PS liquify. The ground squirrels in my yard have since eaten all my poppy roots and I have no more poppies to photograph.

I have taken a break from packing for my trip to South Georgia & the Falkland Islands. Denise and Artie are also going to be on this trip. I leave on Wednesday.

Hazel Grant
10-14-2012, 05:16 PM
Have fun! Waiting to see your photos from your trip

Paul Lagasi
10-14-2012, 10:01 PM
Have a great trip, you should see some fantastic birds, and get some great images. Nicely composed image. Well done

Anita Bower
10-15-2012, 06:42 AM
Wonderful colors--so bright and bold. I like how the flower fills the frame. The out of focus center in the URC is a bit distracting. Have a wonderful trip!

denise ippolito
10-15-2012, 08:30 AM
Nancy, I like the look and poppies are one of my faves and so is O'Keefe. I might take a sliver off the bottom if it were mine.
I can't wait to photograph together again! I leave tomorrow!!

Bob Miller
10-15-2012, 10:18 AM
Hi Nancy....love the colors and texture of the poppy. I agree that the oof flower center is a bit distracting! Have a wondeful time!

bhavya joshi
10-15-2012, 10:22 AM
Wonderful image...Lovely Compose, Nice Rich Tone of Flower... and also agree with Other's.. :)

Cheryl Slechta
10-16-2012, 05:55 AM
Nancy, love the poppy and the colors and the O'Keefe composition. Have a great time!:S3:

Nancy Bell
10-16-2012, 07:57 AM
Thank you all! I think I will experiment with cropping it a bit differently so the OOF flower center does not draw your eye so much.

Andrew McLachlan
10-17-2012, 07:29 PM
Hi Nancy, love the colors of the blossom. I agree with Denise on the small crop from the bottom. Hope you have a wonderful and safe trip.

Dennis Bishop
10-18-2012, 12:38 PM
For the past 12 days, I was in California face-to-face with a Georgia O'Keeffe poppy print. I like your version better than hers. To me, the composition is fine (I don't think I'd crop), and the center of the flower being out of focus isn't a problem. The reds and oranges are very striking, especially with the center and background colors. I like, too, that you zoomed in and didn't include the entire bloom.

Because of the flow of the petals, I thought a 180-degree rotation would work better. It also seemed that the background should be subdued a bit. In Viveza, I desaturated the blue in the corner, darkened the green next to it, and -- because of the blue in the corner and the center of the flower -- made the rest of the background bluer.

I'm guessing you flew out of Denver. We had a frighteningly brief stopover, there, on our flight back home late yesterday. Our next flight was boarding as we got off the plane from Sacramento. Happy shooting during your trip.

Anita Bower
10-18-2012, 06:03 PM
I liked Dennis' flipped version better.