PDA

View Full Version : Which contests do you consider worth entering?

Jim Poor
04-23-2008, 07:29 PM
I just entered my first (thanks to a little prompting from a fellow BPN-er), and I have to say that the different approach I had to use to selecting images was a learning experience .

That was Nature's Best, what other contests do you consider worthwhile and why?

Dave Phillips
04-23-2008, 08:55 PM
honestly.....none, but just a personal opinion

good luck Jim

Dan Brown
04-23-2008, 08:59 PM
I have stayed away from all contests because every one that I have looked into and read the fine print has required free rights to my image for some or all usages. Some contests actually want you to pay them and they still want usage rights! NO WAY. Dan Brown

Fabs Forns
04-23-2008, 09:12 PM
I'd go for Shell/BBC and National Wildlife.

Alfred Forns
04-23-2008, 09:24 PM
Any win on the BBC would be an accomplishment !!!!

George DeCamp
04-24-2008, 08:00 AM
Agree with Fabs on this. The Natures Best, National Wildlife and Shell/BBC Wildlife Photographer of the Year awards are top shelf and well worth the price of admission. I can speak for a couple but the recent one I was a "highly commended" (actually like 3rd or 4th place) winner in (Shell/BBC) in the Birds category, it was an unbelievable thrill for me and my wife to go to. Held in London it was a 3 day event. Day one was a pub meeting where we all met and drank half the night, on them of course. :D Day 2 was a Champagne cocktail hour followed by a dinner on the floor of the Natural History museum under the big Dinosaur. Day 3 was a press conference and chat with magazines and TV in the museum followed by lunch. There were signs in the subway stations all around London and the place was full of glitter the night of the awards ceremony.

Our club NWPLI won best club 2 years ago in the Natures Best contest, they now have a sponsor and are growing even bigger each year as well. We didn't have a ceremony when NWPLI won (now they do) but I went to Washington to see the exhibit, it was just superb!!! The quality and talent were just as impressive as London and should be. I think these big 3 promote photography the most and are big on environmental issues as well. A real treat to be a winner in any one of the above. Even if you are not a winner it is exciting to try and even more exciting to see the results in person, it really gives you an incentive.

Go for it.

Art Peslak
04-24-2008, 08:28 AM
I usually enter Natures Best, Wildbird and the Nanpa showcase thing.

Robert O'Toole
04-24-2008, 08:43 AM
BTW re: Shell Wildlife Photographer of the Year

Shell is out as the sponsor. Also the contest is owned by the Natural History Museum and BBC Wildlife Magazine, and was sponsored by Shell for 2 years and BP before that.

Robert

Jim Poor
04-24-2008, 10:12 AM
Thanks everyone. I don't know that I'm so much interested in the contests themselves, but the editing for different requirements and themes is a learning process for sure.

Thanks again.

Robert Amoruso
04-24-2008, 12:41 PM
BBC WPY, Nature's Best and NWF. Unfortunately, time constraints keep me from entering any - but I am not losing any sleep over it either.

Sabyasachi Patra
04-30-2008, 12:15 PM
I consider BBC Wildlife Photographer of the Year competition to be the most prestigious competition and worth entering.

In 2002, I had entered in a competition in India and had got the second prize. But creating prints and sending it to competitions is too much of a hassle and I have avoided in participating in competitions since then. However, I have been following the BBC Wildlife Photographer of the Year competition. I first entered this competition in 2006 when digital entries were allowed. I was amazed when the entry reached the semi-finals. I thought it was a fluke as I was bad in post processing. I still am bad at pp. To prove myself that it was a fluke, I again participated in the 2007 and again four of my tiger shots reached the semis. This gave me an idea as to how big is the gap between my skills and that of others. I guess, miles to go before I reach that level.

I think there are few guys who have got awards in that competition. Robert O'Toole had got an award for a vertical shot of a bald eagle. I remember that shot as I was very impressed with it. I read here the George DeCamp has got this award. I think Artie had got this award few times. I am sure there would be others. Can someone list down those award winning shots? I always find inspiration from the award winning shots.

edward saltau
05-01-2008, 05:44 AM
Not that i've entered any but i would consider the BBC wildlife photographer of the year to be the most prestigious. However, i don't the quality was quite as high this year as in others???? Some shots were (as always) simply amazing but some were pretty standard. anyone else?