PDA

View Full Version : A lone Fallow

Stuart Hill
10-14-2012, 01:49 PM
Taken whilst searching for the Red Deer rutting. Just happen to walk past this little deer and liked the frame made by the bracken.

kind regards.
Stu.

1/500@f4 iso800
D3 500mm
small crop from bottom and right. Removed some stray oof branches top right.

Steve Kaluski
10-14-2012, 02:34 PM
Hi Stu, the image conveys a very natural look & feel and good vision to use the bracken to frame the subject.

The greens do look vibrant, however I will leave the colours to others who are on calibrated monitors to pass on any thoughts, but you could run a gradient up from the foot of the image and adjust the exposure to slightly darken it perhaps? Actually just dropping the overall exposure does help, especially on the fallow, but it might be the laptop giving me the impression? I think if you didn't have the almost solid black shadow area that is the hollow of the tree on the LHS, then crop works for me as I like the space, but it just keeps catching my eyes. Therefore I think you have two other options, the first is to revisit the RAW and double process and open up the shadow area and then combine the two, or re crop slightly tighter, both work. However, if you keep as is then a sliver off the top removing the leaves creeping in is good. These fallow are so sweet and at times timid, so good to get the shot.

Overall nice work.

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
10-15-2012, 07:20 AM
I really like the comp and foresty feel to this. Nice pose too. Interesting how white the deer is.

TFS,
Rachel

Stuart Hill
10-15-2012, 01:41 PM
Thanks Steve, think I'm gonna try doing a hdr style treatment on that hollow as you suggested. I agree it's a bit of a distraction but like the extra details.

Kind regards.
Stu.

Steve Kaluski
10-15-2012, 02:15 PM
Hi Stu, if you have the info in the RAW it should not be an issue, look forwards to the repost.

I agree it's a bit of a distraction but like the extra details.
Are you referring to the FG????

Stuart Hill
10-17-2012, 12:26 PM
Repost is a compromise. No details left in the old hollow so 'extended' the dead wood. Thanks for the help with convert for web to Steve. User error! Forgot to tick 'save profile' Doh! And found your actions for web presentation too!

Kind regards.
Stu.

Steve Kaluski
10-17-2012, 03:03 PM
Hi Stu, excellent work on the tree, really works a treat.

Now back and can look at images better, LOL I still feel things look a tad bright, plus the greens just a little too powerful. Just my take, but toning things down brings a bit more depth & subtle detail through IMHO. Look at the bracken in the BKG and the deer. Be interested in your thoughts. This was where I was suggesting in my original comments. Ah 'THAT box', catches everyone. :w3

cheers
Steve

Stuart Hill
10-17-2012, 04:18 PM
Thanks Steve, yep, getting it now. I've opened them both in ps side by side and can really see a difference. How did you make your changes as I like the way you've handled the deer and foliage. (sorry, it's turning into a master class!)

cheers.
Stu.

Steve Kaluski
10-18-2012, 08:18 AM
(sorry, it's turning into a master class!)

Not a problem Stu, however there are one or two tricks I do tend not to disclose sadly, as they are a few actions I have written, but mainly all I did was:

- Drop the greens in Saturation
- Cleaned the whites a tad on the deer/adjusted a bit of the Blue
- You could then try dropping the exposure a fraction, then the gamma

I left the tree as is.

Stuart Hill
10-18-2012, 03:49 PM
Brill thanks Steve, never used the exposure within ps itself before!

Cheers.
Stu.

Steve Kaluski
10-18-2012, 03:55 PM
Stu, I'm not suggesting it's 'the magic bullet', but occasionally it can help, use it wisely!

Oscar Dewhurst
10-19-2012, 01:31 PM
Very nice Stu, like the composition

Oscar