PDA

View Full Version : Barn Owl from the Side

Paul Lagasi
10-14-2012, 11:59 AM
I was looking for ideas for the upcoming theme and I ran across a Van Gogh sketch called Barn Owl from the Front.
An idea was born :tinysmile_shy_t:, stolen idea from a great artist but thats what this theme is all about..trying to copy the great artists.

If you check on line there are millions of images of great works to get you inspiration from...:eek3:

So here it is "Barn Owl from the Side" ala Van Gogh style.

Come on folks lets get creative...:tinysmile_shy_t:...

Used Topaz Simplify (Dave's paint by number method) for sketch effect
CS5 Paint brush to remove certain parts, Clone tool to add some
Fotosketcher for vintage look
Multiple layers

Nancy Bell
10-14-2012, 03:18 PM
Fantastic start for the theme! Love the sketch effect with the vintage look. I think the one eye could have a bit more detail. It seems unfinished.

Paul Lagasi
10-14-2012, 05:31 PM
Hi Nancy, thanks for the comment...I felt the same way about the eye but Barn Owls have a solid black eye and it just didn't look right no matter how I tried it. I even tried using another owls eye to no avail...so I left it like that.

Anita Bower
10-15-2012, 06:44 AM
You prompted me to look up Van Gogh's sketch. Thanks. Excellent job of creating a sketch out of a photograph. Too bad about the eyes, but then, it is just a sketch.

denise ippolito
10-15-2012, 08:28 AM
Paul, this is a very creative piece. I like the slight sketch- it leaves a lot to the imagination. The texture background is a nice compliment.

bhavya joshi
10-15-2012, 10:27 AM
Beautiful sketch.. It looks Like Old Sketch where ancient People are Try to draw an animals. :)

Cheryl Slechta
10-16-2012, 06:01 AM
Paul, a great way to start the theme!! It is a beautiful sketch and also reminds me of some Leonardo da Vinci sketches. The vintage look really enhances the image.:S3:

Dave Woeller
10-16-2012, 08:25 AM
I absolutely love this. You've taken the sketch technique to a whole new level. The eye doesn't bother me at all as it is a sketch.

Anita Bower
10-17-2012, 02:58 PM
Paul: I think you should change the title to reflect that this is a Weekly Theme image. I'd hate for it to be overlooked at judging time. :-)

Andrew McLachlan
10-17-2012, 07:26 PM
Hi Paul, great sketch work for the owl...very creative filtering. I kinda like the un-finished look created by the filtering!

Paul Lagasi
10-17-2012, 07:47 PM
Thanks everyone for comments, they are really appreciated.

Cheryl Slechta
10-17-2012, 08:02 PM
Anita, I was supposed to change it to a theme image - it's done now. :S3:

Paul: I think you should change the title to reflect that this is a Weekly Theme image. I'd hate for it to be overlooked at judging time. :-)