PDA

View Full Version : Yawning Okavango

Russell Johnson
10-14-2012, 07:47 AM
Taken at one the Hippo pools created by the annual flood.

Realise the shutter speed is a little on the slow side, though luckily in this frame, it got me the motion in the water.....Should have pushed to 3200 though it is easy to overlook theses things :)

Mark IV +500mm
1/250 @F4
ISO1600

Morkel Erasmus
10-14-2012, 09:02 AM
Stunning low angle and soft light here Russel :5
Love the movement in the water, so your SS was perfect for me here :bg3:
I might be tempted to tone down overall brights just a tad (I know you use lumo masks)...
I like the ears of the one one the LHS in the BG sticking out of the water, though others might bay for a cleaner BG :w3

Steve Kaluski
10-14-2012, 09:17 AM
Hi Russell was this at Selinda?

Can comment on colour as I'm away, however I do like the way the top of the mouth intersects and almost links with the contour of the BKG. Personally I would have preferred the hippo on the RHS (in BKG) plus the one on the left slightly obscuring the face not to be in shot, but that's in an ideal world. Having the teeth, roof of the palete and the cascading water is great. Don't think you needed to crank much more ISO up?

Great to see you adding your thoughts to posts, as I know they are valued, likewise your images.

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
10-14-2012, 09:59 AM
Russell - this works very well and I too think the ss was just right. The blur of the water adds to it as does the nice low pov. Well done.

TFS,
Rachel

Jamie Douglas
10-15-2012, 11:00 PM
Count me as another fan of the slightly blurred water Russell and techs worked for you. The rest of the image is tack sharp so that counter balances things IMO and the water gives a sense of the movement of the yawn.

Nice one buddy :cheers: