PDA

View Full Version : Sunrise Over The Ponds

Judy Lynn Malloch
01-05-2008, 02:48 PM
This image was created last Thanksgiving out in Bosque. The mornings were a beautiful time in Bosque as the sun was beginning to rise and the snow geese were flying in by the thousands.

Nikon D100, Nikon 24 to 120, ISO 500, 1/60 , F16

All comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Doug Oglesby
01-05-2008, 04:04 PM
I really like this image. Great mood and light. I especially like how the sun is partially obscured by the clouds.

Kjeld Smed
01-05-2008, 04:14 PM
Hi Judy,
Love it. A beatiful scenary and colors. I would like to see the flying Bird and the Sun just a little closer :)
and make a crop and just use 1/3 of the picture. The Sun is what we see first and then the flying Birds in a perfect situation.
This is not ment for you Judy and maybe Iīm getting to old (still only 61) but after going Digital it seems not allowed to crop pictures anymore. Are we going for the technical perfect picture for itīs own sake or can we still produce a good composition and situation with a small cost of tecnical perfection like noise ( grain ) ? Well. to day one can remove the grain. Sometimes I miss the wet darkroom. I was cropping in some degree most of the time. The cost was only grain, but I got the picture like I wanted it to be. One canīt alwise use 30 min. on a shot if itīs only there for a few seconds or two min.
Kjeld

Robert Amoruso
01-05-2008, 07:23 PM
Judy,

I would take room of the top and bottom like I did below as an alternate cropping suggestion. The dark cloud at top and the dark grasses don't add much to the image. With the recrop, I feel there is stronger drama in the image. The sun is in the right third vertical. I am a bit bothered by that placing the birds smack in the center but since they are small in the frame it is not a biggie IMO. I would add a bit more back onto the top after looking at my crop a second time.

Great colors and exposure is right on for me. Nice work.

Alfred Forns
01-05-2008, 10:46 PM
Love the repost !! Huge difference !!!!

Kjeld Not sure what you mean by not being able to crop digital? As long as the crop is not huge it is fine With film we had the same problem with cropping a lot Loss of quality Agree with you the most important part is the look and feel of the image !!!

Judy Lynn Malloch
01-05-2008, 11:34 PM
Many thanks Robert for taking the time to do a repost. I think it looks wonderful and I had initially thought that the sky added a real strong element to the over all capture because of the mood it set but I very much like the repost. Again thanks.

Samuel Mulder
01-06-2008, 12:40 AM
Very nice. I especially like the cropped repost. That was a beautiful morning. I think I must have been standing a few feet away from you, although didn't realize it. I got this one a few moments earlier. I hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread, but I was struck by the similarities. I like that you got the sun reflection in.

Judy Lynn Malloch
01-06-2008, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the comments Samuel and for posting your image. It is amazing that these twoo images were seconds apart. Sure wish we had had the opportunity to meet !!!