PDA

View Full Version : Common Vampire Bat

PRABIR BHATTACHARYYA
10-13-2012, 09:47 AM
Found this in the morning today, hanging from the Wood Apple Tree across my 2nd floor balcony.
It was hiding in a dark corner and it was difficult to access even with a flash.
This is my 1st Bat shot.
[60D, Tamron 70-300mm VC]
1/50s, f/6.3, ISO-1250, 0 Ev, Pattern

Thanks for C&C.

Rachel Hollander
10-13-2012, 11:18 AM
Interesting to see a bat and you've exposed the bat well, especially with the back lighting. I would have preferred a bit more room above and less below to see a bit more of how it was hanging down. Unfortunate that the bright leaf is there but nothing you can do about it. I would look at toning down the highlights a little, perhaps with a luminosity mask (see the sticky at the top of the forum). Hopefully, you'll have more opportunities with the bat.

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
10-18-2012, 02:07 AM
I for one have never seen a photo of this mythical creature :bg3:, thanks for showing me one, Prabir.
I think you handled it nicely...would tone down highlights as per Rachel's suggestion but also wish there was more on top to show the feet clinging to the branch.
It seems a wee bit oversharpened and I'm not sure the SS you had is enough, the head seems to have suffered from slight motion blur...

PRABIR BHATTACHARYYA
10-18-2012, 11:57 AM
Morkel, thanks a ton for your review. It was quite a difficult job for me to get this guy. In fact, I saw this guy for the first time since I moved in 10 years back in this house.
I get some of my subjects from the Wood Apple tree from my 2nd floor balcony. But it also creates huge shades and that comes in the way at times.

While shooting this creature, blind as they are but with very strong sensory perception, I could see a bit of restlessness and that's a reason for the motion blur.

I will take the suggestions and work on PP a bit more.
Thanks again.