PDA

View Full Version : Leopard

Roy Priest
10-13-2012, 01:44 AM
This male leopard was found at Nuamses waterhole in Etosha, Namibia just before sunset. He was lying with his back to us when we first arrived. He then got up and took a walk around the waterhole then climed a small hill and lay there for awhile before disappearing.
Nikon D4, 500mm, ISO 1250, 1/640 @ F6.3, Handheld from the window of our vehicle.

Steve Kaluski
10-13-2012, 03:39 AM
Hi Roy, nice to see you posting here.

I like the rich warm tones of the image, however the image doesn't have the correct colour profile ie sRGB... so I'm not too sure how reflective this is, however...

Depending how much image content you have, I think having more below and less above would be better, plus a slight CW rotation, say 2 ish degrees? I feel it's important (were possible) to give the subject room to breathe, but a slightly tighter crop loosing the second stone keeping the same ratio would also help. Love the reflection and curved tail, but wish the Leopard was further more forward so the rear leg wasn't hidden by the rock. Not sure what is causing the Cyan areas on the waters edge, but I would look to dropping the colour there, as I feel it jars with the rest of the image.

I assume this was with Nate C tour? Look forward to more images Roy, looks like a very fruitful trip.

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
10-13-2012, 11:05 AM
Hi Roy - nice to see a leopard reflection. I know it is often tough to position or reposition yourself for the optimum shot at the Etosha waterholes. Good suggestions by Steve for taking this up a notch. I would also add a touch more sharpening, particularly to the head.

TFS,
Rachel

Jamie Douglas
10-15-2012, 11:03 PM
Lovely scene Roy and some good suggestions above.

Jamie