PDA

View Full Version : Lesser Yellow-headed Vulture

Lorant Voros
10-12-2012, 07:55 PM
I photographed this vulture a few weeks ago in Yucatan on a very overcast day, since it is the hurricane season. I find the almost high key BG interesting. Comments are welcome.

1DMKIV
500mm+1.4TC
ISO400
f:8
1/400
Handheld

Juan Carlos Vindas
10-12-2012, 10:03 PM
One of my favorite vultures, very nice idea about a HK image since I believe it works here. Sharp and well exposed. The vegetation on LRC adds to the image.

Gyorgy Szimuly
10-12-2012, 11:50 PM
Very nice image. I have seen this excellent species in the wild Mexico. This is one of the best shot of this species I have seen.

Best, Szimi

Ákos Lumnitzer
10-13-2012, 02:37 AM
Hi Lóránt
Wonderful comp and presentation. As JC says the foliage adds a little colour, which lifts the overall aesthetics.
Cheers mate!

Shawn Zierman
10-13-2012, 08:39 AM
Sweet high key image. Love the coloration of the bird's head, and yes, the vegetation in the lower right hand
corner is a nice feature to the image. Did you clone some branches out of the background or is there just a
couple of oof slightly gray branch like areas going on back there? Either way, a consideration would be to get
rid of those....If you have a hard time seeing them, pull the image into photoshop and do a levels adjustment
to make the entire image much darker...they will pop right out then, as will an errant bit of vegetation on the
bottom of the frame under your sig, and another wee bit on the left edge across from your sig....

Jon Rista
10-13-2012, 11:44 AM
Great photo. I like the composition, including the leaves in the lower corner. I think the exposure is wonderfully well done, considering the circumstances with that bright sky. The bird itself is beautiful...love that brightly colored head. It's pose, HA, etc. are excellent, too.

The only thing I might change is that OOF branch that extends from the perch to the lower left corner of the photo. It is out of focus enough to not really be visible, but still in focus enough to be a little disrupting. I'd edit that out, create a cleaner background sky.

Lorant Voros
10-13-2012, 12:20 PM
Sweet high key image. Love the coloration of the bird's head, and yes, the vegetation in the lower right hand
corner is a nice feature to the image. Did you clone some branches out of the background or is there just a
couple of oof slightly gray branch like areas going on back there? Either way, a consideration would be to get
rid of those....If you have a hard time seeing them, pull the image into photoshop and do a levels adjustment
to make the entire image much darker...they will pop right out then, as will an errant bit of vegetation on the
bottom of the frame under your sig, and another wee bit on the left edge across from your sig....

Yes, you are right. Actually Jon is right...there are some OOF branches that I should clone out and by this clean up the BG. I shall do it...thanks for the heads up.

gail bisson
10-13-2012, 12:47 PM
I agree that the 2 OOF branches are very distracting and once you eliminate them the image will sing.
I would add a bit on top as well to make the image more of a vertical.
Great species and I like the huge talons,
Gail

Randy Stout
10-13-2012, 02:08 PM
Lorant:

Very nice high key image, with great pose, like the tail up a bit to show it better, excellent DOF from your chosen f/stop.

Yes, I agree about the OOF branches, need to go.

Nice job of making lemonade under the lighting conditions.

Cheers

Randy

Karl Egressy
10-13-2012, 07:00 PM
Nice pose, excellent head angle and eye contact, Lorant.

Satish Ranadive
10-14-2012, 07:17 AM
Lorant:
Excellent image.Love the pose, beautiful colors and details.

Regards,
Satish.