PDA

View Full Version : Etosha Pan and Acacia

Rachel Hollander
10-12-2012, 09:00 AM
Taken on my August trip to Namibia. We had heard there were lions in the area and we did see them through binocs only way off at the edge of the pan (not in this shot) but I took the opportunity to grab a shot of the pan and this iconic Acacia tree.

Canon 5D3
70-200 II @ 160mm
1/500
f11
ISO 400
HH from safari vehicle, luminosity mask, curves adjustment, selective dodging and burning, cropped to about 60% of ff, sharpened and Hougaard Malan actions in CS5.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1719"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Hilary Hann
10-14-2012, 03:56 AM
I really like the detail in the grasses in this image, and the variety of birds and animals in the background. I would be interested in where you cropped as I feel the pans dissect the image very much in half and because the sky is so 'boring' that it would be better to reduce it. I looked at cropping it but I feel that it would be stronger if you had some more left and right and reduced the sky but kept the lovely grasses. All depends on what the cropped part of the image looked like.

Stan Cunningham
10-17-2012, 11:00 AM
Adding some canvas on both sides might help but I like it as it is as well.

Rachel Hollander
10-17-2012, 11:35 AM
Thanks Hilary and Stan. Here's the ff version. Happy to have your thoughts on other crops.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
10-17-2012, 06:12 PM
Lovely scene Rachel. I like the OP. I would perhaps just add a sliver more space on the LHS, but not much. Perhaps also try to recover some detail from the tree trunk?
:5

Rachel Hollander
10-17-2012, 07:20 PM
Thanks Morkel

Andrew McLachlan
10-17-2012, 08:40 PM
Hi Rachel. a lovely scene for sure. i too like the OP, but think I would like it more with a sliver added to the left as Hilary suggests. I think the repost has too much added to the left.

Anette Mossbacher
10-29-2012, 08:35 AM
hahahahahahahaha, sorry that I laugh, but exactly the same tree I have as well in some of my images. Salvatore waterhole :bg3:

Looks great with the "beasts" in the back. :bg3:
The missed lions have been there, when I stopped by. 5 youngsters. Next day about 6 Hyenas , few days later...nothing :tinysmile_shy_t:

I like the second pic better

Ciao
Anette