PDA

View Full Version : Lonely Right down to My Bones . . .

Craig Brelsford
10-12-2012, 08:23 AM
One gives up much for this birding life. It's a brutally impractical choice of career. Here's the payoff: bar-tailed godwit, near sunset, on a quiet mudflat. Crouching down, I feel the cool mud between my toes. In front of me, just 15 m away, I see the godwit, strangely tolerant of me. How beautiful you are, little traveler; how graceful. The mudflat is wide and empty; the godwit is the nearest large object to me. We observe each other, she the lonely traveler, I the lonely photographer--indeed, I'm lonely right down to my bones. For a few moments, this bar-tailed is my best friend in the world.

Device: Nikon D3S
Lens: VR 600mm F/4G
Focal Length: 600 mm
Aperture: F/5.6
Shutter Speed: 1/1250
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
Exposure Comp.: +0.33
ISO Sensitivity: ISO 2000
Metering Mode: Center-Weight
Subject Distance: 15 m
Vibration Reduction: Not used.
Photoshoppery: Little beyond basic processing.
Tripod? Mattress?: Used neither. I walked onto the mudflat carrying my equipment in my bare hands.

Stu Bowie
10-12-2012, 11:35 AM
Hi Craig, good shooting angle created in this, and well timed to get the raised leg. The Godwit is nice and sharp, well exposed, and I would try and lighten the eye if possible. Maybe a little tight on the right. :w3

Lorant Voros
10-12-2012, 11:49 AM
Nice raised foot, well exposed and good perspective. I'd add some space at the right as well and maybe a tad more contrast. Nice one.

Jim Crosswell
10-12-2012, 01:06 PM
I like the HA, raised foot, exposure and low angle. I would add more room on the right. Well done Craig!

Marina Scarr
10-12-2012, 07:14 PM
I completely get where you are coming from Craig, except I have a feeling it may be more of a lonely life where you are than here. I was out with my GF this morning and we were lying down in the water photographing Marbled Godwits in gorgeous weather just loving every minute of it.

Very nice pose on this Godwit with a great low angle and good IQ.

Satish Ranadive
10-12-2012, 09:38 PM
Very very sweet image. Love it.

Regards,
Satish.

Juan Carlos Vindas
10-12-2012, 10:13 PM
Very well presented! lovely bird and nice details all around. I especially like the sharp eye and raised leg.

Shawn Zierman
10-13-2012, 08:29 AM
Lovely pose with a perfect head angle...holds my attention nicely. I also like the size of the subject in the frame.
A bit more contrast for the subject is worth considering, and I like the idea of teasing a bit more shine out of the eye...
I can easily find myself identifying with your words...a nice bit of text there sir.

Troy Lim
10-13-2012, 09:19 AM
Very nice Craig. Did you have to use the float for this image? That is an excellent idea.
Well executed shot.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
10-13-2012, 10:37 PM
It's the place I'd be everyday if possible camera in hand of course. I really like the raised foot and soft bg. Maybe just a little lightening of the eye.

Craig Brelsford
10-14-2012, 01:38 AM
It's the place I'd be everyday if possible camera in hand of course. I really like the raised foot and soft bg. Maybe just a little lightening of the eye.

Yep. The real livin' is outside, camera in hand, looking for that next perfect shot.

Frank Schauf
10-14-2012, 04:21 AM
Exellent image quality, great details and sharpness.