PDA

View Full Version : Kudu Bull

Rachel Hollander
10-12-2012, 08:00 AM
Sorry Morkel, it's another herbivore:S3:. Taken on my recent trip to the Timbavati Game Reserve in South Africa.

Canon 5D3
70-200 II @ 160mm
1/2000
f5.6
ISO 800
EC +.67
HH from safari vehicle, luminosity mask, levels, curves, selective color adjustments and sharpened in CS5.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Andreas Liedmann
10-12-2012, 10:13 AM
Hi Rachel,
pretty Kudu bull in the image . in his majestic way of walking, love that.
Like the colors and the overall tonality, still there is more room for slight contrast move , for me.Nicely processed !!

I would crop from RHS to get rid of that tree, is good for nothing in the image , for me.
The only thing ,that makes this image less good,lets say less interesting is the fact that the Kudu is moving and/or looking away from us, so less ideal, i think.

But just i repeat , very fine processing

TFS Andreas

Steve Kaluski
10-12-2012, 02:30 PM
Hi Rachel, a nice bull Kudu, lovely setting.

We'll skip the colour as you know, however this looks well processed and I like the sheen on the antlers, albeit on the laptop. The red in the inner ear draws the eye and I like the side profile. From what I can see on the laptop, the light has created some good definition, form and structure illustrating how muscular and athletic these guys are and perhaps one of my favourite antelopes. A head on view will clearly show their lovely 'corkscrew' antlers. I think I would agree with Andreas about the tree, however you could then crop slightly tighter, not much as you have the IQ. Happy to go & trust Andreas's last word in his reply. :w3

What was the reason for the hi ish ISO and +0.67 comp?

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
10-12-2012, 02:40 PM
Thanks Andreas and Steve. Truthfully, I hadn't even noticed that tree but will look at a crop. The ISO and EC were because we had been shooting him in a more shaded area when he wandered out and across this open space. I just kept the settings as I fired off a few. I've also taken to ETTR a bit more.

Thanks,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
10-12-2012, 02:45 PM
Thanks.

I've also taken to ETTR a bit more.

Can you expand, it's been a busy/long day with the Grouse. :bg3:

Rachel Hollander
10-12-2012, 02:48 PM
Exposing To The Right:S3:

Steve Kaluski
10-12-2012, 03:07 PM
Cool, it's easier to darken than lighten and retrieve the detail. :w3

Tom Graham
10-12-2012, 06:05 PM
Cool, it's easier to darken than lighten and retrieve the detail. :w3

Not sure what you're saying Steve. Darken where/when? In camera exposure? Then "correct" in post processing? Or, ETTR then darken in PP?
I lean toward darken in camera (little bit under exposed) because ETTR too often blows out highlights for me. But likely varies much by camera model, not even considering metering mode. Nothing beats knowing your equipment in different lighting situations.
Oh, and image well processed, like environment grass, brush, trees. Would crop so rid of right tree. And would prefer slightly in front of Kudu rather than slightly behind.
Tom

Rachel Hollander
10-12-2012, 06:32 PM
Tom - thanks for the comment on the image. Steve is agreeing with me, ETTR in the field (without blowing the highlights) and then darken in pp if necessary. If you underexpose and then brighten in pp then you are more likely to lose detail and to introduce noise, particularly in the darker areas.

Jamie Douglas
10-12-2012, 10:17 PM
ETTR has paid of nicely Rachel. I like the setting and even though some would critise the head angle, it does show off the colours and detail in the ears.

Jamie

Steve Kaluski
10-13-2012, 02:03 AM
Thanks Rachel.

Tom, certainly with the advancement of technology I personally am finding that the 1DX is giving me a better balanced exposure either side of the histogram and I can push things far more to the right with detail retained. Obviously you have to check the Histogram to ensure no blown whites, but the more you can push things to the right the more info you have to work with.

BTW be great to see more of your images from your Africa trip.

cheers
Steve

Rachel Hollander
10-13-2012, 10:47 AM
Thanks Jamie, much appreciated.

Russell Johnson
10-14-2012, 08:09 AM
Great capture of a subject difficult to photograph.

Can't add much to what has been mentioned above.

Morkel Erasmus
10-15-2012, 02:40 PM
Darnit, Rachel, I said no more herbivores :w3...
Kudu are some of my favourite antelopes. Love the grace and confidence they exude.
This one is no exception. I like the sense of place here, with the proud horns sitting nicely between the BG trees.
ETTR sure worked :5

Rachel Hollander
10-16-2012, 09:04 AM
Thanks Russell and Morkel :cheers: