PDA

View Full Version : Red deer stag (a youngster!)

Jonathan Ashton
10-12-2012, 05:55 AM
Canon 7D Canon 100-400L ISO 400 1/2000 sec f6.3
This fella is a relative youngster having 9 tines on his antlers, he is also somewhat smaller in bulk than the big boys. I was squatting when I took the image, he turned around because one of the big boys was bellowing (in UK we say red deer bellow yet we say elk bugle - one of our idiosyncrasies!).
All comments welcome.

Rachel Hollander
10-12-2012, 08:05 AM
Hi Jon - nice color, sharpness and detail and the low pov works very well. It feels a bit tight below and also with the direction he is looking I would prefer more space to the left than the right. As is, there is too much negative space to the rhs for my taste. It might work better as a vertical image.

TFS,
Rachel

Andreas Liedmann
10-12-2012, 10:16 AM
Hi Jonathan,
good techs allover, with good colors and nicely processed.

Issue here is for me the composition, think i go with Rachel for a vertical comp, if you have room.

TFS Andreas

Steve Kaluski
10-12-2012, 01:40 PM
Hi Jonathan, would agree with the previous comments/observations, if you get the shot you want and you have the time, it's always worth changing format, as you never know, it could be that winning shot. :S3: I think you could have also dropped the ISO based on the SS, but I always think it's better to have more SS IMHO.

BTW Are you a member of the RPS nature?

TFS
Steve

Jonathan Ashton
10-12-2012, 03:23 PM
Thanks very much for the feedback everyone seems like a vertical format is the way to go, it's funny I usually consider that option but in this case it didn't occur to me.
Steve ~ RPS Nature - yes I am, and I have submitted for the current portfolio.:w3

Steve Kaluski
10-12-2012, 03:42 PM
Great, now I know what I'm up against, if I'm back, I might see you at the meeting in March?

Cheers
Steve

Jamie Douglas
10-12-2012, 11:48 PM
Hello Jonathan, did you clone something out on the RHS side where the grass meets the trees? There looks to be a smudge mark and I might run a gaussian blur on the line of trees. I find the 7D makes BG almost painting/sketch in some situations. IME that is.

But apart from that, nice work and I am sure we will see more. Try a vertical next time and good luck.

Lovely detail on the deer.

Jamie

Morkel Erasmus
10-15-2012, 02:58 PM
Nice pose here, Jonathan, but have to concur with the others that vertical is the way to go. It also needs hint more space at the bottom for my tastes.
I see what Jamie refers to - and am also curious about it :t3.

Jonathan Ashton
10-16-2012, 02:46 AM
I Jamie, Morkel I seem to have mislaid the raw file but you may well be right, I think there was some cloning there and I forgot to tidy it up.