Melissa Groo
10-11-2012, 11:33 AM
Canon 1D4
500mm
Skimmer Pod

f/7.1
1/2500 sec
ISO 640

Just back from a trip to an island along the coast of South Carolina, where I went for a few days to photograph migrating shorebirds and seabirds. I still struggle with identifying shorebirds, but with the help of a couple friends and my guidebooks, including Artie's Shorebirds book, I came to the conclusion that this is a juvenile Red Knot. Please correct me if I'm wrong! I took quite a few pics of it and will post at least another one or two. I was terribly excited to learn this, as I am so bowled over by the fact that many of them make a 9,000 mile migration to southern South America, and I think about all the hardships they must face. I think they are currently at threatened status.
The one thing I wish is that I had not been as low as I was, as I lost detail in the sand in the foreground. Yes, it is possible to be too low! Hard to accept as I am a getting-low fanatic.
Thanks for looking, and for any comments and critiques.

Vivaldo Damilano
10-11-2012, 01:04 PM
Excellent Melissa, love the ruffled feathers and eye contact. I am also liking the colors and BG. Lovely looking species TFS.

Stu Bowie
10-11-2012, 01:54 PM
Hi Melissa, nothing wrong with this angle, and I reckon you have the perfect eye level capture here. Love the layers of feathers from shaking ( I presume he was shaking ) with good DOF. I like the hint of the tiny incoming wave, and the softer colours in the BG rock. If anything, blending in the specular highlights along the bottom wont harm the image.

Jim Crosswell
10-11-2012, 01:59 PM
I like the ruffled feathers, sharpness, details, low angle and BG. Very well done Melissa.

Arthur Morris
10-11-2012, 03:41 PM
First off, I love the photo. Heck, I love shorebirds but this is a good one. Nice low angle and a nice shake. Do you see the very few plainer grey feathers above the folded wing? This is a young bird just starting to molt to first winter plumage. All the juvie feathers are neatly with edged black sub-terminal bands.

gareth thomson
10-11-2012, 03:57 PM
I think it's a great image. Besides the details, I like the horizontal banding, and the fact that the bulk of the bird's body is framed w/in the predominantly blue band (rather than straddling two or more bands).

gail bisson
10-11-2012, 04:00 PM
Hi Melissa,
Nice to see you back.
Hope you had a great trip.
Very nice pose and IQ. You can never get too low :S3:! The Bg is excellent.
Good comp and I like the pastel blues and greys and creams in the image.
I would clone out or blend them a bit,
Gail

Marina Scarr
10-11-2012, 05:25 PM
Terrific image, Melissa. Great low angle and love that you captured the shake. You have so many nice details in those feathers in the near wing and upper back. Your BG is also terrific with the varied colors which all blend so nicely.

Shawn Zierman
10-11-2012, 05:48 PM
There is zero doubt that this species is still in peril...It's great to see such a nice image of this youngster...
hope for the future in my opinion. The subject placement is excellent here, and the shake is sweet.

arash_hazeghi
10-12-2012, 01:06 AM
excellent Melissa, sharp with great details and sweet light plus a dynamic pose! I'd clone out the specular highlights in the BG. well done!!!

Ákos Lumnitzer
10-12-2012, 02:40 AM
Wonderful image Melissa! I love the ruffled look and if it were mine I would not change a bit about it! :)

Daniel Cadieux
10-12-2012, 08:04 AM
Not too low at all! Great fluffed pose and smooth BG. Love the body angle too. I agree getting rid of the specular highlights would not be a bad thing.

Dan Brown
10-12-2012, 10:46 AM
Love it Melissa! Looks even better here than on FB!

Melissa Groo
10-12-2012, 12:22 PM
Thank you so much for all the feedback.

Satish Ranadive
10-13-2012, 09:40 AM
Gorgeous image.Love the feathers with lovely details,beautiful lights,colors and great composition.

Regards,
Satish.

Karl Egressy
10-13-2012, 01:13 PM
Beuty shot Melissa. I like the ruffled feathers, background and low shooting anle.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
10-13-2012, 10:48 PM
And a beauty it certainly is. I love your low angle and the ruffled feathers. These are really beautiful in breeding plumage as well. Nice one girl.

Frank Schauf
10-14-2012, 04:25 AM
Perfect in every way, Melissa.

Chris Martinez
10-14-2012, 07:04 AM
Incredible Knot photograph. Fantastic ruffling pose, very engaging.

The Knots that have just arrived in Australia are super flighty. I hope after a few weeks of recovery they become a little more relaxed.

Congratulations.