PDA

View Full Version : A rather indignant look...

Steve Kaluski
10-11-2012, 10:32 AM
This guy decided to come and investigate whilst we were 'parked up' in the pack ice. He never really came that close, more intrigued I guess with our presence, as Polar bears are very curious characters, however having made his way over, all he did was sit and gaze, obviously the scent and smells were better coming from the RHS based on the H/A. :S3:

Nothing you can do about the angle of shooting as this was taken with the lens through the railings on the side of the ship, the lowest point, as it's too dangerous to be on the pack ice with these guys.

Steve
Subject: Polar bear sitting on pack ice with indignant look (Ursus maritimus)
Camera: Canon MKIII
Lens: 70-200f/2.8 plus 1.4x HH
Exposure: 1/1250s at f/5.6 ISO200 +0.33 stop compensation
Crop: Slight crop (original capture vertical)

Austin Thomas
10-11-2012, 03:09 PM
Up to your usual high standards Steve.
Great detail and very well exposed. I like the head angle and the catchlight as a result. I also like the fact that we can see all four paws.

Did you consider cropping the foreground ice away? It is interesting but it is also the brightest part of the image.

Cheers

Austin

Steve Kaluski
10-11-2012, 03:23 PM
Hi Austin, can you RP with your suggested crop, always interested to see other POV, thanks.

BTW, was sitting in a heard of Red Deer when you called. :bg3:

Rachel Hollander
10-11-2012, 05:46 PM
Hi Steve - you're getting me ready, eh? I like the pose and detail. I wonder if a slight reduction in the blues is in order but the ice probably had a lot of blue. I would also reduce the sharpening on the fg ice a bit. Finally, is there something strange going on by the bear's right rear leg (on the left facing us), almost looks like a selection/masking issue?

TFS,
Rachel

Hilary Hann
10-11-2012, 11:55 PM
What a handsome bear and I love the pose. I see what Rachel is referring to but wouldn't have picked it up without a closer look. I agree with Austin, not sure his idea for a crop but my first inclination was to crop so that you have a semi circle of ice at the bear's feet.

dankearl
10-12-2012, 12:17 AM
Nice pose and I also saw the blue caste.
I still think it could be warmer than Hillary's post.
I like the crop.

Steve Kaluski
10-12-2012, 02:33 AM
Thanks folks and I like the idea of a tighter crop. :S3:

Rachel will take another look if I can access the hi res file, but there has been no sharpening applied to any of the surround environment, sharpening only applied to the bear. :w3

cheers
Steve

Andreas Liedmann
10-12-2012, 10:20 AM
Hi Steve,
besides the usual IQ, i like the position of the bear, think he smells the smorgasbord .
Like the subtle colors and i am fine with the ice in FG, think i can hear it cracking , so sharp!!

I go opposite to all the other guys , by asking for a composition with a lot more in TRC, because to give the look of the bear more room.

Nicely done Steve

TFS Andreas

Steve Kaluski
10-12-2012, 11:11 AM
OK folks just to answer some outstanding comments.

Rachel, accessed the hi res and in fact it's light which follows the outline/contour of the bear, couple with the BKG so all good, but you had me worried as this went out to print last week, eek:Whoa!:

Thanks Andreas, I think all crops can work, however I kept the crop as this to avoid the top half which, IMHO is not ideal, but here is the FF, not sharpened. Another factor is that the MKIII did not have as many AF points so limiting some of the options as I never focus and then re compose, I ALWAYS frame and move the FP to suit, ie on the eye.

Hope this helps Andreas.

cheers
Steve

Rachel Hollander
10-12-2012, 11:32 AM
Hi Steve - makes sense, I just couldn't tell from the websize low res image. Sorry to freak you out:e3

Andreas Liedmann
10-12-2012, 11:50 AM
Hi Steve,
thanks for clarifying your reasons for the crop, i can follow your thoughts.

Cheers Andreas

Steve Kaluski
10-12-2012, 11:55 AM
Hey, no worries, it good to have a younger, sharper pair of eyes as it is easy to miss things. :w3

Andreas, always open to suggestions as we can often live in a bubble and it's good to get other POV, as comments are constructive. :S3:

Marina Scarr
10-12-2012, 05:30 PM
The details in your image are truly outstanding, Steve. It's as though the bear were standing right before me his coat is just so full of details. I like your OP best in terms of crop, esp after seeing the original.

Jamie Douglas
10-12-2012, 10:21 PM
I am bit late but I do like the crop suggestion and did think the OP had a slight blue almost turquoise cast.

Hope your enjoying the countryside Steve and the grouse are posing for you. I am going to be in Northumberland for two weeks in December.