PDA

View Full Version : Giraffe calves

Hilary Hann
10-11-2012, 06:13 AM
Southern Serengeti earlier this year.

7D; 300mm; ISO400; 1/1250 @ f6.3

I wondered about the high ss and looked back through the previous half a dozen images and found that I'd been shooting weaver birds at their nests. I imagine that's the reason. Two frames later I had reduced it considerably, but I like these two calves and I don't think the lack of dof hurts it. I have some with the male giraffe and these calves barely reach his chest.

Steve Kaluski
10-11-2012, 08:13 AM
Hi Hilary, a sweet image that nicely illustrates the landscape/environment these gentle animals reside in. Techs look good and the high SS doesn't worry me. I can't comment too much on colour/darkness I will let others do that, but I do like the composition and the pose of the two giraffes, nice to have each one looking in a different direction. Some may suggest flipping it and yes, it can work either way, but I know your thoughts on that. Personally I think you have just got away with the horizon and the intersection of the head, but a slight amount of gardening (removing the tree next to the head) I feel gives a cleaner look & feel, especially for the head, but again personal POV. The tail in the FG looks an ominous sight. :bg3:

TFS
Steve

Morkel Erasmus
10-11-2012, 02:11 PM
Nice clean image here Hilary (by design, not referring to 7D IQ :w3)
I like the layers and the light on them. Not sure if the hindmost one is a tad sharper? My eyes perhaps? Where did you focus? :e3
I might try dodging the shaded side of the frontmost one's neck and face a tad.

Hilary Hann
10-11-2012, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions, much appreciated.

Rachel Hollander
10-11-2012, 05:09 PM
Hi Hilary - I like the comp and the scene. Interesting to see them side by side and the slight differences in coloring. Good suggestions as always by Steve (except for the flipping suggesting:bg3:) and Morkel.

TFS,
Rachel

Marina Scarr
10-11-2012, 08:05 PM
Love the poses on these 2, as well as the layered BG.

dankearl
10-12-2012, 12:21 AM
I like the DOF and the overall environment.
The giraffes have a very nice sharpness and clarity, so I think the SS worked well.

Andreas Liedmann
10-12-2012, 10:30 AM
Hi Hillary,
like the layered image design , with the 2 cute giraffes at the right point.
Colors and contrast works with the light shining straight onto the giraffes.
I think the focus point , is not ideal lying on the first giraffe , looks like it is lying somewhere behind, not much you can do about .

Nicely seen.

TFS Andreas

Jamie Douglas
10-12-2012, 10:25 PM
This almost has a 3D feel to it Hilary. Nice work and nit wise, I might reduce the contrast a tad.

Jamie

Russell Johnson
10-14-2012, 07:39 AM
Great comp and love the giraffes standing out against the greens.

Would agree with Jamie on possibly reducing the contrast on the greens.

Hilary Hann
10-14-2012, 06:13 PM
Thanks Jamie and Russell, good suggestion re the contrast although I did bump up the contrast initially so perhaps I went a little too far.