PDA

View Full Version : Mourning Dove

Robert Holguin
10-11-2012, 01:19 AM
Hello everyone. Have not been out lately so I was looking through some files and found this one.
I really liked the background and backlighting here. Almost FF just took some off the top.
C&C welcomed and encouraged.
Nikon 300s l Nikon 300F4 w/1.7 tc l ISO 400 l 1/200 l F6.7 l Multi Segment l Aperture Priority l HH.

Randy Stout
10-11-2012, 07:13 AM
Robert:

I like the fluffed up pose with lots of texture, angle in frame, good eye contact, low shooting angle. Nice BG color.

Although I often like raindrops in pictures, they tend to work better for me at slightly higher shutter speeds so the streaks aren't quite so long. I think these really jump out because of the clean background.

I would try a version with the foreground burned in just slightly, so it is lower luminosity than the bird.

Cheers

Randy

gail bisson
10-11-2012, 09:32 AM
Hi Robert,
The BG and light are really nice. Pretty fluffed up pose as well
I am not loving the streaky raindrops though. I find that my eye goes straight to the streaks instead of the bird.
IQ is excellent. I would also decrease the brightness of the rock a bit.
Gail

Karl Egressy
10-11-2012, 09:47 AM
Excellent detail and nice pose, Robert. I like the rain droplets coming down in an angle.

Stu Bowie
10-11-2012, 02:00 PM
Hi Robert, excellent feather detail, especially around the breast area, and sharp where it counts. Great view of the beak, and Im fine with the comp as is.

Jim Crosswell
10-11-2012, 02:10 PM
I like the low angle, light, sharpness and BG. I agree that the water drops are too long in this image. I would also tone down the FG. Well done Robert.

Shawn Zierman
10-11-2012, 05:59 PM
Robert, very nice image of this dove. The low angle is right on, and the details on the bird have been sharpened perfectly.
The streaks are unique. I don't like or dislike them. Nice soft light quality. I like the idea of ever so slightly toning down the
foreground.

Robert Holguin
10-12-2012, 03:46 PM
Thank you all very much for all the feedback. Much appreciated.