PDA

View Full Version : Golden-crowned Kinglet.

Daniel Cadieux
10-10-2012, 06:28 PM
These tiny puff-balls are in perpetual motion and quite a challenge to photograph, but lots of fun. They don't like to stay still much, and anytime they stay put for more than a second or two that is a real bonus...and you better be ready! Here was one such time...

Canon 7D + 100-400L @340mm, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/500s., f/6.3, ISO 800 (settings histogram checked), handhled, a few highlights in the BG toned down via cloning and burn tool. Cropped for composition (about 80% FF)

Shawn Zierman
10-10-2012, 07:09 PM
This is sooo close and very intimate. Awesome image of this species...sublime really.
Although, a bit more tail visibility, would not have hurt...Regardless, this is top notch stuff sir.

gail bisson
10-10-2012, 07:37 PM
An apt title!
He could be the spokesperson or should I say "spokesbird" for Cotonelle or Charmin' toilet paper!
I like the POV and the detail in the crown and face. Excellent exposure on the yellow.
Great perch and BG as well.
I have to say I would have loved to see more of his tail.
Gail

Joe Senzatimore
10-10-2012, 07:41 PM
I know all to well what you mean. They just don't stop very often. Love this one. Head and eye nice and sharp. Great setting as well.

Lorant Voros
10-10-2012, 07:53 PM
It works for me even without the tail visible or the extra DOF. Very cute and very artistic. Nice work.

Arthur Morris
10-10-2012, 08:18 PM
While I wish that we could see the tail the view of the top of the head and the crest is spectacular. So soft and beautiful. Were there lots of them? Love also the oof pine needle BKGR. Where?

Daniel Cadieux
10-10-2012, 08:26 PM
Thanks guys! I agree about the tail, I only got 3 frames off, including one of a bare perch:S3:, and this one had at least a very sublty visible tail. Thankfully I got some other nice profile poses too, but this one had the best crest angle.

Artie, there were about a dozen individuals roaming about in this spruce tree. Quite the show. Lots of Ruby-crowns too, but not as cooperative on this day. Photographed locally up here in Ottawa...

Randy Stout
10-10-2012, 08:50 PM
Daniel:

Cute,cute, cute. Sharp where it needs to be, nice environment, feels very intimate, in his world.

Cheers

Randy

Arthur Morris
10-10-2012, 08:52 PM
Thanks guys! I agree about the tail, I only got 3 frames off, including one of a bare perch:S3:, and this one had at least a very sublty visible tail. Thankfully I got some other nice profile poses too, but this one had the best crest angle.

Artie, there were about a dozen individuals roaming about in this spruce tree. Quite the show. Lots of Ruby-crowns too, but not as cooperative on this day. Photographed locally up here in Ottawa...

Thanks Dan. Way to go!

David Salem
10-10-2012, 09:17 PM
Very cute little puff ball is right. I really like the narrow DOF, it makes the birds head pop even more and the head is the main focal point. Exposure is spot on. I also like the sprig thats in focus on the right. Great Job!

Jim Crosswell
10-10-2012, 09:43 PM
Great image Daniel! I like the close-up, IQ, perch and composition. I have chased these guys around many times but never had a result like this.

Nelson Mena Alfaro
10-10-2012, 10:36 PM
buenisima

Robert Holguin
10-11-2012, 01:37 AM
Sweet shot!!!
I personally love the dof here. Excellent details, very nice pose and head turn, and great perch.
Very well done.

Karl Egressy
10-11-2012, 10:26 AM
Beautiful image, Daniel. It is great to see the yellow on the top of the head.

Stu Bowie
10-11-2012, 10:43 AM
Hi Dan, love the roundness of this fellow, inquisitive pose, and I do like the colours and detail around the head. I actually like the tail 'blending' into the BG.

Nico Steenberg
10-11-2012, 02:06 PM
Great detail and eye exposure. I like the colours and comp. Great IMG !