PDA

View Full Version : One last word

Stan Cunningham
10-10-2012, 12:47 AM
Bull at RMNP last week just before the sun broke through. Pretty much FF.
Canon 5D Mark III ISO 800 1/800 sec F 5 500 F4.
I have processed over 20 images so far and chose this one to post as I liked the color of the elk and the eye contact.
Wish there was not so much stuff behind him but that is where he stood. Also have cropped this for just a "facial shot" and I LOVE the IQ of the 5D III with even a large crop.
Comments always appreciated.
Stan

Rachel Hollander
10-10-2012, 06:39 AM
Hi Stan - nice bugling pose and I agree, the colors/tones work really well. I do think the elk needs a little more sharpening. I too am very happy with the 5D3. Looking forward to seeing more of your elk shots.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
10-10-2012, 11:25 AM
Hi Stan, I wonder if you could have moved a little more to the left, still capturing the look back, but avoiding his perhaps, less attractive rear, likewise avoiding the curved branch running through the antlers, however nothing you can do with the BKG, it's the habitat they live in. :w3 I agree with Rachel, certainly more selective sharpening overall on the Elk would be good, with a hint more on the face. Although I can't comment on colour, but I would look at trying to open up some of the darker shadow areas, not much, but again, this is looking on the laptop, so... Certainly the crop/position in frame looks good to me. Unsure if the BKG needs a hint more NR?

TFS
Steve

Andreas Liedmann
10-10-2012, 02:13 PM
Hi Stan,
like the colors and the look back calling pose of the elk.
Not much you can do about the lees ideal BG.Think there is more or less most of the times something that is kind of distracting in a forest.
Would leave the tones as they are, but agree about the sharpening.

TFS Andreas

Stan Cunningham
10-10-2012, 09:08 PM
Ok, you would think after over a year of posting I would have the final sharpening down, but I don't.
First, the raw file is very sharp. I've reposted with a unsharp mask but honestly I can't see much of a change when the size is limited to < 250 kb. I rarely like how the images look at this small size unless the subject is close.
But I'm certainly open to how you guys sharpen before posting as it's not coming through for me.
Steve, I'm a big fan of over the back shots, don't know why but I just like them as it tells some thing of a story. But I admit I knew there were cows in the trees that he was following and he turned to let the rest of the world know not to follow. You couldn't know that so that doesn't transfer.119448

Stan Cunningham
10-10-2012, 09:17 PM
I know there are rules about not posting twice but I wanted to post this close up from the same raw file. You can see there is good detail here but it just doesn't seem to show when I reduce the whole file. Still a slight frustration for me and I've tended to just ignore it as long as the "real" file looks good. This post looks a bit oversharpened to me but I hit it one more time with USM.
Sorry Steve for "breaking the rules".

Jamie Douglas
10-10-2012, 10:44 PM
Hmmm at first it looked like the image was just not sharp but then after seeing the RAW file there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the sharpness/image IQ. Not sure what the issue could be. Do you use the save to web option in PS? The RP of the full frame looks better than the OP but you might have overdone the NR on the BG, it looks a little sketch like almost like a water colour texture.
Congrats I and could tell he was after his harem of cows and wanted to warn others that may be following :5

P.S From one Canon user to another, keep an eye on the magenta... I can see a colour cast in the darker areas of his coat so a spot of colour adjustment is called for.

Steve Canuel
10-10-2012, 11:41 PM
Stan,
I like this shot because of all the habitat in the BG. Gives me the impression of "edge of the meadow/edge of the woods" and together with the over the back look says that he's got business to attend to in there. I don't mind the painterly look of the BG at all but I've been called on that on a few of my past posts. I took your OP into PSE 10 and sharpened it and it looked just fine. Your repost of the head looks pretty good. As an aside, I also like these over the back shots and it's because for me it gives the sense that the animal knows I'm there, is acknowledging my presence, but saying "I don't care that you're here, I've got places to go and things to do."

Morkel Erasmus
10-11-2012, 01:51 AM
Stan, looking at the OP I was about to comment that your critical focus was on the tail/rump and the face looked OOF.
Seeing your 100% crop of the RAW file blew me away. It seems there are issues with your workflow, would be happy to assist.
Have a look at the resizing and sharpening actions I posted as a sticky thread at the top of the Wildlife section, a good place to start in developing a better "web posting" workflow.

I like the pose and soft light! :5

Steve Kaluski
10-11-2012, 02:12 AM
Hi Stan, firstly I don't have an issue about any of the reposts, as it relates directly to the OP, it's when two separate images are posted that things become an issue. :S3:

I agree with your comment about the tighter crop, it is too sharp, however it clearly shows the IQ, so a slight backing off and you are there. Sharpening and Workflow is, or can be, a very personal POV and what works for one many not work for another. I can't really give you specific settings as images vary, likewise your personal prefs, but...

- In RAW, when you export, do you apply any sharpening, if so, what are the settings?
- How do you get around not sharpening the BKG?
- Once exported from LR, ACR or DPP etc and honing things in PS/CS, do you apply and additional sharpening?
- Once completed how do you sharpen for web?

How do you get the Exposure right in the histogram in RAW? Do you ever add Black, Contrast, Clarity? Just trying to get some ideas on your processing, if you have been with Chas previously, did he do any Post production (PP) exercises?

I think Stan it might also be worth a trawl through Digital Workflow and also look at some of the exercises too.

The 250kb limit isn't an issue Stan, even when it was 200kb the images posted here were excellent, I do however feel, if the original isn't right then it is just compounded when it reduces in size.

Hopefully we can get things resolves and others too will chime in with thoughts.

Cheers
Steve

Andreas Liedmann
10-11-2012, 02:56 AM
Hi Stan,
the RP shows clearly that the base image is good, sharpening wise.
As Steve and morkel said should be a workflow problem.
My idea is to post the complete workflow, here or as a PM to different folks here who are willing to help you to solve the problem.
Maybe it is going off topic , then.

Think good idea is , to,look for a thread here in BPN, forget where and when it was posted. Jonathan Ashton started the thread, if you look at his images in Marco/Flora you will see he has no problem with sharpening and downsizing, nice images to look at.
He posted his workflow, so maybe you can pick up some stuff and learn.

Cheers Andreas

Steve Kaluski
10-11-2012, 03:10 AM
Hi Stan, in fact Andreas has raised a good point and at times it can be a very fine line we walk on how far a topic may go before being deemed to be 'off topic'! So taking his points above, it might be worth posting your reply as a PM to both Morkel & myself, then it might be worth compiling and posting in Workflow? Others can then chime in too afterwards?

Morkel, WDYT?

Steve

Morkel Erasmus
10-11-2012, 05:06 AM
Hi Stan, in fact Andreas has raised a good point and at times it can be a very fine line we walk on how far a topic may go before being deemed to be 'off topic'! So taking his points above, it might be worth posting your reply as a PM to both Morkel & myself, then it might be worth compiling and posting in Workflow? Others can then chime in too afterwards?

Morkel, WDYT?

Steve

I second that. Waiting for your PM if you choose to, Stan :w3

Stan Cunningham
10-11-2012, 09:19 AM
Thanks guys for the kind offer and I will take you up on it but it may take a couple days to respond as completely as possible as I have 30 students I need to take on a field trip tomorrow and 4 classes to teach today.
As always I sure appreciate your time.

Stan Cunningham
12-22-2012, 06:45 PM
A month and a half later I repost another resharpened image.122500
I think my biggest problem is deciding when to stop sharpening and what size to look at when I make that decision (50%, 100%, etc.)