PDA

View Full Version : Etosha Dust Bath

Rachel Hollander
10-09-2012, 08:27 PM
Taken about 90 minutes before sunset in Etosha National Park, Namibia. The elephants are well known for their dust baths and for being white due to the color of the Etosha Pan and surrounding soil. This bull was slightly uncooperative in the angle he chose to stand at for his dust bath. Unfortunately no way for us to move to a better angle.

Canon 7D
100-400 @ 400mm
1/640
f7.1
ISO 400
EC +.67
HH from safari vehicle, luminosity mask, levels, curves, selective color adjustments, dodging and burning and sharpened in CS5.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Stan Cunningham
10-10-2012, 12:24 AM
I love the colors and the dust "frozen", but like you I wish we could see more of his eyes and face.

Steve Kaluski
10-10-2012, 02:46 AM
Hi Rachel, can't help but think of Mr Delaney when I see these images, these images are so unique and full of character probably because of their colour.

Obviously blowing the dust is the key to the image, however like you, I would like to have had a more side elevated view (side on) rather than the slightly angled rear facing, why could you not move? Perhaps a slightly tighter view may help?

I think Stan with the distance and caked on mud/soil you would not get much more detail clarity in and around the face sadly.

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
10-10-2012, 06:22 AM
Thanks Stan and Steve. Steve - in Etosha many of the side roads end at a waterhole (sort of a deadend or cul-de-sac with the waterhole ahead of you). This bull was on his own in the dust field to the side and extending behind the waterhole. No road went into that area so no way to get closer or a better angle.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Russell Johnson
10-10-2012, 06:32 AM
I like the processing on the ele, bringing out the dusty colours.

Personally the image does not really grab me. I appreciate you were at your max focal length, though I don't feel the environmental feel to the image works. A more zoomed capture of the action, with the suggested different angle would take this image up a notch IMHO.

Andreas Liedmann
10-10-2012, 02:01 PM
Hi Rachel,
this image lives from the colors for me, like this Etosha style.
The angle of the ele is not ideal, as yourself know , i think.
If there is a crop suggestion , i think i would crop from bottom to give the spraying dust more room, that is where the action is going.
Processing on the els is just right,but think the rest can stand a tad more tonal contrast, just like the previous image of this guy.

TFS Andreas

Morkel Erasmus
10-11-2012, 04:00 PM
Love the tones on the elephant and the motion you captured, Rachel. I hear what Russel is saying, as my initial thoughts were to crop from bottom and LHS - go tighter :w3

Rachel Hollander
10-12-2012, 08:20 AM
Thanks Russell, Andreas and Morkel. Here's a repost with a crop along the lines of what you all suggested.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Russell Johnson
10-14-2012, 06:51 AM
Rachel, that works a lot better for me.

TFS.

Rachel Hollander
10-14-2012, 08:51 AM
Thanks Russell

peter delaney
10-19-2012, 02:33 PM
Hi Rachel

Etosha is my favorite hunting ground ,,, but it is tough as u found out as u have to stay on the roads . Agree with previous comments about the angle ...prefer the closer crop... Colours are spot on,, as is your timing with the dusting ... Well done

Rachel Hollander
10-19-2012, 03:44 PM
Thanks Peter, much appreciate your comments and insights. I kept pleading with him to turn just a little bit more towards me but he wouldn't listen :bg3:.

Nice to see you posting and commenting again,
Rachel