PDA

View Full Version : Rusty Blackbird - Reflection

Jeff Sorbie
10-09-2012, 02:39 PM
I found this one from my outing last week. I tried the crop suggested by Artie from my last Rusty post. I like the outcome and the birds "Whats your problem" stare..
Taken @ Mud Lake, Ottawa
D300s & Sigma 150-500mm
1/500, f6.3, IOS800 @ 500mm

Ben_Sadd
10-09-2012, 02:51 PM
Nice staring pose, likewise in the reflection. Good details in the bird. The image needs 2degrees CCW rotation. I would consider taking a little off the top, and if you have it, leaving a sliver more on the left. If your ethics allow, a little clean up of some twigs and the brown splotches in the background would help the image.

Marina Scarr
10-09-2012, 04:19 PM
What riveting eyes you captured here and what a great reflection. Definitely needs some rotation as mentioned above. Love the BG. I personally don't see a need for any clean up.

Joe Senzatimore
10-09-2012, 05:22 PM
Great reflection and stare. Not in love with the BG as I feel it distracts a bit. Wonderful detail in the bird.

Nancy Bell
10-09-2012, 06:23 PM
This is indeed a great in-your-face look with a very good reflection. I really like the water droplets in the middle ground of the image. For the far background, you might consider lowering the intensity of the brownish-orange blob & some of the brighter spots. I agree with the type of crop as suggested by Ben.

Jeff Sorbie
10-09-2012, 06:31 PM
Thanks all. I will try all the suggestions.

gail bisson
10-09-2012, 06:39 PM
I much prefer this to the first post.
Great pose and reflection and nice low POV.
I am on the fence as to whether I would clean up the black sticks.
I like the diagonal lines of mound and legs,
Gail

Shawn Zierman
10-10-2012, 01:58 AM
What I enjoy about this and the previous image is how you captured the Rusty in typical
Rusty habitat, and how your commitment to the low angle puts the viewer in the bird's world.
The full reflection is very nice here. In both this and the previous image, your composition gives
a lot of weight to the background. In both images, giving more weight to the foreground and less
to the background would have improved the success of the images imo. The canvas that the water
is providing in both images is more pleasing than the canvas that the bg provides....Unless there was
some strong oof element in the fg that you were trying to not include....?

Satish Ranadive
10-10-2012, 03:57 AM
Great pose and great reflection.Love details and eyes of the bird.

Regards,
Satish.

Karl Egressy
10-10-2012, 06:23 AM
This is very cute, Jeff. Excellent reflection. I find that you have a little too much canvas at the top and the right side.
I would try to crop it as a 5x7.

Daniel Cadieux
10-10-2012, 08:28 AM
Love the head-on stare! Neat that you got a reflection too. Pointing your lens down a bit more would have been super as I feel the reflection is rather close to the bottom edge and you have extra space above. A fun species!

Jeff Sorbie
10-10-2012, 10:17 AM
Thanks to everyone for the comments and ideas.

Nico Steenberg
10-10-2012, 02:42 PM
Well exposed detail and comp, The reflection adds to the IMG. Well done !