PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Rumped Warbler

Kenn Christensen
04-23-2008, 12:47 PM
well this was a tricky one.. I liked the shot but a nasty grass stem went right across the bird.. even wiped out that toe that is extended.. I did my best to restore it... not sure its good enough.. but thats what this place is for.. to get feedback so I can figure out things and get them right (someday)....
1d mk III
500 f4 w 1.4 tc
handheld
iso 400
1/500
f7.1
handheld

this was a fairly considerable crop.. probably around 1/2

Nikolay Staykov - shotlandetsa
04-23-2008, 01:39 PM
you've done the fix very well. if you didn'n mention it, I would never thought there was a gras stem :)
lovely bird!

Manos Papadomanolakis
04-23-2008, 01:41 PM
Hi Kenn,
Nice pose and nice details but I would prefer a vertical crop

Kenn Christensen
04-23-2008, 01:54 PM
thanks guys....
I did consider a vertical crop.. but when I tried it I felt that the bird needed more room to the right. I did not have enough vertical room to give him that in the original photo... though it would I suppose be possible to add it.. I feel if I didnt give him enough room to the right the shot would be cramped... thus I stayed with the orientation it was shot in.. I will agree that I need to consider doing more vertical shots in the field... I will also admit. I did not have much time with this guy.. these guys dont sit long.. or at least were not while I was in the field.. there was a lot of them... but they were hunting for food and moving all the time...

Paul Pagano
04-23-2008, 04:17 PM
I would not have thought there was any surgery here had you not mentioned it. Maybe a little sharpening on the bird would be nice. Love the position and the angle is good too.

Kenn Christensen
04-23-2008, 04:45 PM
I might be able to boost sharpness a bit.. it was not tack sharp at 100% (to say the least!).. which.. lets face it.. means its not tack sharp.. and can use all the help it can get.. maybe its not good enough?

Sid Overbey
04-23-2008, 05:19 PM
Beautiful shot and nice PS work on the bird. For some reason the stick/branch in the background on the right distracts me. Other then that I really like this shot.

Alfred Forns
04-23-2008, 05:52 PM
Hi Kenn

Do like the bird a lot The area on the right does take away form the image Not sure if it is the ideal corp but would take a little from the left and crop the entire stem? Would not end up as a vertical but sure looks good !!!! Excellent image!!!!!!

Dan Brown
04-23-2008, 06:09 PM
Kenn, here is an attempt at cropping your very nice shot. By the way, this bird is a "Myrtle" Warbler, a subspecies of the Yellowrumped Warbler. The white throat is the main field mark for myrtle's. The Audubon's Warbler is the other subspecies and it would have a yellow throat. I'm sure that you are probably aware of this little fun fact. Dan Brown

Kenn Christensen
04-24-2008, 09:03 AM
thanks for all the help on this.. looks like a recrop is in order...
and actually Dan. funny thing.. the place was stuffed with yellow rumps.. I just thought this was one.. I guess they were hanging out... and I didnt know the difference between them.. really!.. I am more of a photographer than I am a birder.. and I try to keep things straight.. but in this case I made an assumption and really didnt confirm it.. so thanks for the heads up... now I know.. I will post another warbler today.. I THINK its a palm warbler... but Im not really sure... it was taken within inches of this shot... they were all swarming over the ground and in this bog, and through the lower branches of trees.. there must have been hundreds in the area... it was pretty cool