PDA

View Full Version : Vertical Take off

Stu Bowie
10-07-2012, 10:52 PM
Let me explain my reasoning for this comp. This Longtailed Widow bird was draped the full length of the 'perch', thus the vertical frame. I only managed two shots before he decided to take off. On instinct, I pressed the shutter, as I wasnt expecting him to take off so soon. Now I have this take off pose, nothing cut off, and want to show off the colours of the BG. If I come up from the bottom, I feel the comp will be too squarish, and as this was captured vertically, I dont want to change the overall feel of the image. The BG is OOF grasses shot as is. Taken in a nature reserve close to my house very early yesterday morning. Also shot through my car out the passenger window. I wish it was a little sharper too. And yes, he has taken off slightly away from me. :w3

1D Mark IV
100-400 @ 400mm
1/1600
F/7.1
ISO 500

Manual exposure
Hand held from my car

Robert Holguin
10-08-2012, 01:53 AM
Excellent shot Stuart
I love the background, very nice light, great pose, and I really like the comp.
If mine I would just remove the dark spots below the bird.
Very well done.

Satish Ranadive
10-08-2012, 03:43 AM
Stuart Sir:
Beautiful looking bird with lovely tail.I like the details in blacks,pose, beautiful composition and background.

Regards,
Satish.

MohsenVahedipour
10-08-2012, 05:53 AM
Stuart,

Excellent capture, Lovely bird & BG. This composition working for me, but I would prefer Horizontal comp. instead with adding some canvas to the left. TFS

Grace Scalzo
10-08-2012, 07:06 AM
I see your challenges, Stuart. I personally would come up from the bottom. Even if you end up with something "square-ish", I think that the strong line of the bird negates that. As presented, it feels top-heavy to me. Of course, this is just my opinion. I love the flow of the tail - gives the image alot of motion.

Jonathan Ashton
10-08-2012, 08:33 AM
Super shot Stu, the head looks sharp to me, you have excellent detail. Regards composition I see your dilemma, I would add canvas to the left using content aware scale. The OOF stem and faint dark blobs add a little authenticity for me, I think if you removed them it would look a little manicured.

Marina Scarr
10-08-2012, 10:05 AM
Terrific exposure and lovely BG and light. I see exactly what you were going for. I might consider adding some canvas left .

Stu Bowie
10-08-2012, 10:35 AM
Thank you all for the feedback. Whilst there would be many ways of achieving the right comp from what I have, here is a quick version taking off the bottom, and adding to the left. Yes it may look better, but I feel I lose my original vertical capture.

Jonathan Ashton
10-08-2012, 02:29 PM
Stu - leave the bottom add to the left - trust me I am a scientist!!:tinysmile_shy_t:

Stu Bowie
10-08-2012, 02:45 PM
Stu - trust me I am a scientist!!:tinysmile_shy_t:

I knew that already. :w3

Stu Bowie
10-08-2012, 02:51 PM
I think we are on the right track - Like this????

gareth thomson
10-08-2012, 03:28 PM
Stuart: Your repost in frame 11 looks good to me. I think the weight of the bird (its color and intrinsic interest) is well balanced by the mass of gold-yellow below. Certainly a unique comp, but I sure like it as is -- then again I'm no scientist :-)

Rachel Hollander
10-08-2012, 03:55 PM
Stuart - your last rp looks great. Nice to see a relatively close shot of a widow bird. I don't remember how you feel about cloning but you might consider cloning the dark spots below the bird out.

TFS,
Rachel

Nico Steenberg
10-08-2012, 04:03 PM
Exposed to perfection Stu !! Great sharpness and detail captured against a killer bg. I really like the landscape crop. Rietvlei ?

Jack Breakfast
10-08-2012, 09:39 PM
What a magnificent picture! I see no earthly reason to fear and loathe the square crop, and although I like all 3 versions, my favorite is the version in panel #11. What a weird and wonderful picture! All of your disclaimers were needless, I feel. Very very well done.

Karl Egressy
10-09-2012, 07:58 AM
Great shot, capturing the moment, Stuart. It seems to me that the last composition is the best so far, but there might be many possibilities.

Jonathan Ashton
10-09-2012, 04:03 PM
Stu - pane 11 that's the one for me!!

dankearl
10-09-2012, 09:37 PM
It took me a second to tell what I was looking at Stuart!
A really fun and unique image.
I do like the tall vertical because it is unusual.
Terrific BG and IQ as usual.
I also would think about removing the dark spots below the bird.