PDA

View Full Version : Fairie's bonnets

Jonathan Ashton
10-07-2012, 08:05 AM
Tripod, Canon 50D Canon 180mm macro ISO 100 -1.0, 0.5 sec f16
All comments welcome.

Bob Miller
10-07-2012, 09:38 PM
Jon,,Now that's a bit different from your usual dfly postings......,beautifully captured! nice lighting! You might consider bringing out the light more on the bottom capsules but as it is beautiful! Nice work!

Satish Ranadive
10-08-2012, 02:17 AM
Jonathan:
Wonderful image.Very nice light effects and beautiful details.

Regards,
Satish.

Jonathan Ashton
10-08-2012, 03:26 AM
Bob & Satish, thanks for your comments. The fungi were growing on a rotten log, to make life easier I placed the log in a clearing. The light was very low under the woodland canopy so I took a number of exposures using the histogram as guidance. I also used a sheet of aluminium baking foil to reflect the light but for the most part it did not work too well becasue the sun was so bright that day. I did manage on this shot to just glance the fungi with a little light.
You may wish to consider looking at the image using the various "skins" available. If you scroll down to the bottom left hand corner of the page you will see a drop down list and you cane chose between various backgrounds, one is almost black and there is the grey one that I normally use. It is quite surprising how different one's perception of the image is when comparing the different "skins".
If you do this, ensure it is not whilst you are writing any text becasue as you go from one skin to the other you will lose it.:w3

christopher galeski
10-08-2012, 05:25 AM
nice one Jonathan,like the colors,thanks.

Steve Maxson
10-09-2012, 11:01 AM
Hi Jon. Very cool subject material! Good overall sharpness and I like how you "managed" the light to bring out a lot of detail in the mushrooms. I'd be tempted to crop a little off the top - at least to remove the dark area at the top of the frame that is drawing my eye. This is very well done! :cheers:

Jerry van Dijk
10-09-2012, 02:49 PM
Hi Jonathan, the light is very special in this image and the details on the shrooms are very well captured. Ditto the crop from the top.

Jonathan Ashton
10-10-2012, 03:36 AM
Thanks Chris Steve Jerry, I hadn't considered cropping the top, I think you have a good point there.

Anita Bower
10-15-2012, 07:00 AM
The lighting on these mushrooms is just beautiful! I also like how they flare upwards on curving stems. I can see it cropped from the top or as it is--both work for me. Lovely muted colors. The one thing I would do is to clone out the dirt spots on the mushrooms. Here is a version mostly cleaned up (quickly--I could have done a better job) to give you an idea of what I mean.

Jonathan Ashton
10-15-2012, 07:30 AM
Thank you Anita I appreciate your time in doing this modification, it looks good.