PDA

View Full Version : Stata Center at Night

allanrube
10-06-2012, 08:18 AM
The Stata Center is at M.I.T. I was in Cambridge on a workshop and this interesting building happened to be near where the car was parked.

D800 with 16-25 lens at 17mm. ISO 160. 2 seconds at f/5.6.

Don Railton
10-07-2012, 07:04 PM
Hi Allan

A very interesting building....! I would be interested to know how you 'levelled' this one..! The top of the foreground fence is not level but should it be..? I am not convinced of that. Lots of interesting detail/angles Allan, the downside is the sky and the big black void LLHS. I am not sure you could have done much with that anyway, maybe blended a couple of shots at different exposures, but for a 'grab' shot well done..

DON

Dave Mills
10-07-2012, 11:14 PM
Hi Allen, Interesting image and well processed. Sometimes trying to get too much information in an image weakens the whole. In this case I might have broken the image up into smaller compositions. The building to the left of the red building certainly has enough interest to stand by itself.

allanrube
10-08-2012, 07:46 AM
Thanks for the comments. The fence was more level, but the entire building is so "off" that I wanted the fence to be "off" too. I know what you are saying about the individual sections being interesting but I saw the entire complex as something I wanted to capture.

I just used detail extractor from Color eFex 4 on the darkest colors. After flattening the image I used a bit of shadow/highlight adjustment and light detail extractor on the entire image.

Don Railton
10-08-2012, 11:10 PM
Now you are talking...!

Jerry van Dijk
10-09-2012, 02:53 PM
RP looks sweet! A building like this can take a treatment like this. The more 3D feel of the RP, combined with the 'flow' of the building really sucks you in the frame. I bet this is another Frank Gehry design?

Morkel Erasmus
10-09-2012, 03:34 PM
a very interesting scene Allan
the repost is much stronger IMHO, these kinds of modern architecture lend themselves nicely to this kind of grungy feel
:5

Rachel Hollander
10-09-2012, 04:19 PM
Allan - nice job on the repost. It does much more justice to this interesting building.

TFS,
Rachel

Robert Amoruso
10-09-2012, 08:33 PM
Allan,

The repost is just what the doctor order IMO. Normally I prefer to see up-angled lens distortion corrected but as you mentioned the building is "off" already, the the converging lines accentuate that. Nicely done.

allanrube
10-11-2012, 06:13 AM
Thanks for all the comments which helped me improve my image.