10-06-2012, 07:13 AM
Taken in Etosha National Park, Namibia.

Canon 5D3
70-200 II @ 123mm
1/320
f14
ISO 400
EC +.67
HH from safari vehicle, cropped to vertical, luminosity mask, levels, curves, selective color adjustments, sharpened in CS5.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

dankearl
10-06-2012, 09:05 PM
Dainty look to this one and the Zebra lines are very attractive.
I realize you were in a vehicle, but just a bit lower view would look nice for me.

Tom Graham
10-07-2012, 12:26 AM
Cute, nice 3/4 front view and can see all legs and hoofs. View angle/perspective ok for me. Would like to see "catch light" in eye. Would crop a bit from top. Perhaps a wee bit too bright??
FWIW, like it looking towards left :S3:

Tom

Steve Kaluski
10-07-2012, 02:08 AM
Hi Rachel, difficult to get a lower angle when shooting from a vehicle, but I do agree that in this instance a lower POV would have been better. The light looks bright/harsh so difficult to gauge exposure on such a contrasting animal, however I think you can push the blacks a bit more and perhaps drop the Exposure/Gamma a wee bit just to reduce the overall 'light' look & feel to the image. Difficult one though. Perhaps 0.3 EV, but why f/14 had you been doing some landscapes?

TFS
Steve

Hilary Hann
10-07-2012, 03:35 AM
Would agree on the POV, but I think you've extracted nice detail from the foal. Makes a charming portrait.

Rachel Hollander
10-07-2012, 07:24 AM
Thanks all for the comments and suggestions. It was later in the morning and the light was a bit stronger. I still found EC needed due to shadows and uneven light. Steve - f14 because this was at one of the waterholes in Etosha with a ton of wildlife and on all sides of the waterhole so I was shooting some wide shots with a lot of dof and multiple animals. When I cropped to vertical I cropped out another zebra that was on the other side of the frame and looked away at the time of the shot. Interesting on the blacks because my final adjustment was to back off a little as I thought they were bordering on getting choked up.

Thanks again,
Rachel