PDA

View Full Version : "Alan Murphy's new eBook"

Charles Glatzer
10-04-2012, 09:15 PM
I just received Alan's new eBook "The photographers Guide to Attracting Birds" and I just had to tell you the book is FANTASTIC!
The book is superbly done, chock full of useful tips, information, and of course excellent images to illustrate the concepts.

If birds are your thing...run, don't walk to get this book.

Chas

Amol Khedgikar
10-05-2012, 08:55 AM
I agree, I ordered both his e-books and I have to say I am amazed. The books are just full of clever thoughts. Its like he had access to the brains and thought process of these birds.

I havent had a chance to go through theb books completely but from what ever I saw. Every single tip/trick he talks about has been broken down to the minutest of details and tons of pics to support it, including the camera, lens and flash settings.

Anyone who is on the fence about getting any or both of these books, I would suggest just jump in and help yourself to better pics of your own.

Amol

Frank Schauf
10-05-2012, 10:00 AM
Wow, this is the best thing I have ever read on this subject.

Sid Garige
10-05-2012, 10:47 AM
Thanks Chas.

Downloaded it today morning. Brilliant book and very well written.

-Sid

Arthur Morris
10-05-2012, 11:15 AM
I wrote the foreword. You can read the foreword and check out four large images from the book here (http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2012/10/03/the-photographers-guide-to-attracting-birds-available-right-now/) and a few more by scrolling down here (http://www.birdsasart.com/2012/10/04/birds-as-art-bulletin-420/). The red-wing in the second link might very well be Alan's sickest image ever....

ps to Sid: I edited it for readability :S3:

Daniel Cadieux
10-05-2012, 05:50 PM
Fantastic book...highly recommended!

John Walker
10-09-2012, 02:03 PM
Is it appropriate for birds in teh UK? Sounds like a daft question but they are different in how to approach, honest!

Arthur Morris
10-09-2012, 02:16 PM
John, Many of the techniques work fine just anywhere. Click here (http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2012/10/03/the-photographers-guide-to-attracting-birds-available-right-now/) for info and pix and here (http://www.birdsasart.com/2012/10/04/birds-as-art-bulletin-420/) for some more great pix. The red-wing in the second link might very well be Alan's sickest image ever....

Amol Khedgikar
10-09-2012, 03:20 PM
Is it appropriate for birds in teh UK? Sounds like a daft question but they are different in how to approach, honest!

John,

I think the techniques will work anywhere in the world as long as you understand and follow the minute but important details he describes. In a few exceptional cases you may need to come up with a local adaptation/modification.

Having photographed birds for over 2 years in the UK myself I know from experience that the birds there are approachable around feeders. They are not as wary of people as you would normally see.

Rains and a sudden, heavily overcast cold front in TX spoiled it for me last week but I cant wait to try out the techniques from the book this weekend.

Corey Hayes
10-10-2012, 03:31 PM
I got it and think its pretty good but I think its a little over priced, would be better if it was $25 or $30

Arthur Morris
10-10-2012, 04:02 PM
I could not disagree more. Folks are spending thousands and tens of thousands of dollars on gear. The amount of work that goes into preparing these educational eGuides is incredible, not to mention the one or two decades it took to figure all the stuff out.... Having done a few eBooks, PDFs, and eGuides myself I speak from experience. Can you say "tedious"? Note also that good how-to writing is pretty much priceless....

John Chardine
10-10-2012, 04:24 PM

John- You actually have a good point. Birds do not react the same everywhere. For example, a standard method of bringing birds close in North America- "pishing"- is nowhere near as effective elsewhere (personal experience). In Atlantic Canada, birds look at water drips and say "Meh"! I have not seen Alan's book yet but I suspect that despite all this, it will be a useful compendium.