PDA

View Full Version : Watch Where You Put Those Tusks!

Rachel Hollander
10-04-2012, 06:33 PM
This desert elephant seemed almost too big to be nursing. I composed this in the field with the trunk as the left border and then cropped a bit from the bottom where the trunk curved to the right and I also cropped some from the rhs to keep the ratio. I'm curious what others think of the comp.

Canon 5D3
70-200 II @ 130mm
1/320
f8
ISO 800
EC +.33
HH from safari vehicle, cropped as described above, levels, curves, selective dodging, NR on bg and sharpened in CS5.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
10-05-2012, 06:28 AM
interesting framing here, Rachel.
I am unsure if including a tad more on the LHS (more of mom) would benefit the image here?
Part of me wants to see more of the trunk and at least the whole tusk?
Conversely, how about cropping from LHS to lose mom's face and "frame" the scene with her leg?

might back down on sharpening a wee smidgeon?

perhaps this one would work better in B&W - thinking out loud?

Steve Kaluski
10-05-2012, 07:37 AM
Hi Rachel, my first impression overall, is that I felt it looks a little 'harsh' in it's look & feel, even contrasty. I think if you soften it with perhaps a Lumo mask (or something similar (?)) at a %, it might just tone things down a little, obviously you may need to mask it, but overall, it does help IMHO. I feel it would be good to look at the options Morkel has suggested in terms of cropping too, but I'm a less unsure about the sharpening, BTW to me it looks as if you have missed Mom's ear when you look at the surrounding bodies? I might also be tempted to apply some selective colour Neutrals/Blacks to it, although I do get the feeling/impression the Contrast/Blacks could be giving you an issue? Did you add any LCE perhaps that could be causing a few 'optical' thoughts?

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
10-05-2012, 07:59 AM
Thanks Morkel and Steve. No more room on the lhs. As said above I composed this way in the field so that the trunk was the left edge. I also wanted to include the mom's eye. Unfortunately including the entire tusk would have meant space between the lhs and trunk due to the angle and length of the tusk. I have another shot that I took (I think later in the trip) where a mom's leg forms the left edge and the calf is nursing. I did amp up the contrast here. As you both know, I actually tend to like less contrast than most but I over exaggerated it here a bit. Will look at the sharpening but whatever sharpening done included mom's ear.

Thanks as always,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
10-05-2012, 08:07 AM
Will look at the sharpening but whatever sharpening done included mom's ear.

Interesting, just thought it lack the detail/texture you have around other areas, but thanks for the additional feedback.

Rachel Hollander
10-05-2012, 08:12 AM
Thanks Steve, I see what you mean but it definitely included the ear so maybe just less detail there?

Here's how I originally processed the image before amping up the contrast. WDYT?

Thanks,
Rachel

Jamie Douglas
10-05-2012, 10:38 PM
Hi Rachel, sweet intimate moment between momma nelly and her wee one. Repost is more to my taste and it might need a "Lumo mask". I can see where Morkel is going with the B&W idea but at the same time I think there is enough rich texture in these colours to keep it as posted. I am sure Steve or Morkel will be in again soon to comment.

Have a good weekend.

Jamie

Steve Kaluski
10-06-2012, 03:00 AM
Hi Rachel, I think that is better and I understand (I think the ear, interesting), but now you need to bring some depth back in, dounble process may help, plus I have added one round of neutral/black and some more USM in selected areas/+8 of brightness, WDYT? This was based on your RP.

Steve

Rachel Hollander
10-06-2012, 06:26 AM
Thanks Jamie and Steve. Steve - looks good. Thanks