PDA

View Full Version : Brown Pelican

David Salem
10-04-2012, 01:15 AM
Captured this pelican hunting at just before sunset a few months ago. He would take off for a few feet then slam back into the water. Molting still but I liked the light and wing position.

Thanks as always for looking and your input. Appreciated.

David

Satish Ranadive
10-04-2012, 03:30 AM
David:
Excellent take off shot.I like the funny looking wings,nice FG and trail of water droplets.
Love the pose,HA,great details,lights and colors.

Regards,
Satish.

Randy Stout
10-04-2012, 06:56 AM
David:

Great light, dynamic pose, well timed to get him mostly against the blue, which shows him off better.

I might consider trimming back the tallest grass shoot under the wing. The shorter ones are fine for me.

Be sure to include your tech. details, camera/lens and post. It really helps us with the critique.

Cheers

Randy

Miguel Palaviccini
10-04-2012, 07:06 AM
David - very nice timing on the capture. The feather detail is superb, and the pose is great as well. I would consider removing some of the contrast from the background and i agree with Randy about removing the tallest grass shoot under the left wing.

Bill Dix
10-04-2012, 07:58 AM
I hesitated to open this based on the thumbnail, but I'm glad I did. The light gives it a very painterly quality. Great wing position, detail, and drops. The bird's position against the blue shows him off nicely.

Daniel Cadieux
10-04-2012, 08:23 AM
Very nice! Great comp, angling pose, and the water splashing adds even more dynamism. Good colours. I kinda like that taller grass and would personally keep it in, but could see a version without it too.

Shawn Zierman
10-04-2012, 09:58 AM
This one rocks. The bird is positioned perfectly given the scenario...no unpleasant merges at all imo.
Details rock, and I love the comp as is....except a slight head turn towards you would have made a great
image even better. Sweet action shot sir.

David Salem
10-04-2012, 10:47 AM
Thanks everyone for your input and nice comments. I left the tall grass on the right because I liked the feel of the drops around them but might look good with out. Sorry forgot the techs... 1DMKIV---700mm---f5.6---ss1/2000---ISO400----HH@6:30pm

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
10-04-2012, 10:47 AM
Very good sharpness, details in black and whites, and the full wing spread pose is very nice. I also like how you manage to show the environment with taking much attention away from the bird too. Very well done, TFS.

Stu Bowie
10-04-2012, 01:49 PM
Hi David, very well timed for the take off, and to have him against the water BG. Just love the show of the wingspread, and all the detail shows up nicely. Im fine with the taller piece of grass, and gotta love the trailing water.

Nico Steenberg
10-04-2012, 02:21 PM
Great wing spread and feather detail captured. The exposure and colours is spot on and the comp a killer. Well done Davit !

David Salem
10-05-2012, 12:30 AM
Thanks everyone for the comments.