PDA

View Full Version : The Pumpkin Patch

John Storjohann
10-03-2012, 09:02 PM
It's been a while..and I've missed you all! With school starting back up, time has been minimal, and I've only been on three shoots since the beginning of August...hopefully that will start to change. Went out with Jay last Saturday and thoroughly enjoyed the day...shooting with a good friend on a beautiful fall morning is a tough scenario to top. 24-105mm lens@45mm, f/11@1/30 handheld. RAW image processed in LR, imported into CS6; NIK ColorEfex Pro (Detail Extractor and Vignette) and Topaz Simplify 4 (one of the new painting presets) applied on separate layers with lowered opacity. Looking forward to comments and suggestions (have a couple of my own...:t3...I'm heading back at least once or twice before Halloween!)

Dennis Bishop
10-03-2012, 09:50 PM
It's good to see your images, again, John. And talk about returning with a flourish . . . This is really a good image. I like the colors, the composition, and the straw, grass, and leaves in the bottom right. Beautifully shot and processed. Looks like you were prone on the ground or using a right angle finder.

Judy Howle
10-03-2012, 10:14 PM
Welcome back John! I agree with Dennis, the composition is superb and the color palette is very pleasing.

Indranil Sircar
10-03-2012, 11:45 PM
Welcome back, John! Agree with Dennis and Judy; excellent composition. I love the color and the light. The texture and the pattern stands out!

Maureen Allen
10-04-2012, 12:08 AM
Lovely composition and textures. Very nice, John.

John Storjohann
10-04-2012, 06:47 AM
Thank you for the comments...I have to share, that the hitch in the giddy-up for me with this image is the stem of the blue pumpkin on the right...the fact that it is clipped...but the lines of that pumpkin were so strong that I felt it was a key compositional element. I shot this as I found it and didn't want to move anything...and evicting the stem would have left an unnatural feel to the image (at least in my opinion). Thoughts?

BTW....Dennis, I LOVE your tag-line at the end of your posts. Very thought provoking!

denise ippolito
10-04-2012, 07:41 AM
John, It's very nice to see you back posting- you have been missed. I love this one. I am especially fond of the small leaf in the LRC. The lighting effect is perfect and the composition is great!

John Storjohann
10-04-2012, 08:18 AM
Thank you, Denise...trying to find that balance in life again!

Dave Woeller
10-04-2012, 09:11 AM
Hi John, This is a wonderful image and I agree with the others above on the light and composition. The stem on the blue pumpkin doesn't bother me a bit and fits as a natural part of the scene. I wouldn't change a thing.

Bob Miller
10-04-2012, 09:24 AM
John...very nice image...good eye....You might consider toning down the URC...its a small thing....Wonderful work!

Mitch Carucci
10-04-2012, 02:30 PM
Composition just right to my eye, and the warm autumn colors and textures are very evocative.

Nancy Bell
10-04-2012, 03:15 PM
Fantastic glow on the pumpkins that brings out the colors and highlights the different textures. I think the composition is fabulous and I certainly don't miss more stem on the blue pumpkin.

Andrew McLachlan
10-04-2012, 06:24 PM
Hi John, love the pumpkins...great processing.

Cheryl Slechta
10-04-2012, 06:41 PM
John, welcome back - great image! I love the composition, the crisp look to the pumpkins, the vignette, the leaf that Denise mentioned:S3: And the stem on the blue pumpkin doesn't bother me at all. Beautifully done.

Paul Lagasi
10-04-2012, 07:02 PM
What else can I add that hasn't already been mentioned, well done..welcome back

Anita Bower
10-06-2012, 04:36 PM
Nice! The different sizes, shapes, textures, colors of these squashes make interesting contrast. Lovely light.