PDA

View Full Version : The other side of Zinnias

Bob Miller
10-03-2012, 09:41 AM
I was fascinated to see the other side of a zinnia plant as I walked through my backyard garden
Nikon D-800
105 macro
1/80 sec @ f11
ISO 800
photographed on blk fabric bg
Comments welcome!

Norm Dulak
10-03-2012, 04:23 PM
Showing the back side is a very interesting approach. And this image is vibrant, sharp and beautiful. It jumps right out at the viewer. But I do wish you had captured the bottom of the flower in its entirety. If you have another frame that encompasses all of the flower, I'd like to see it.

Jerry van Dijk
10-04-2012, 02:28 AM
Hi Bob, you have a good eye for interesting details! I do feel that you are in two minds here. Either go for the whole flower (so include the lower side and use its compositional elements), or (my favourite option here) go in really close and make it all about colors and textures. Since you are using the D800, I bet you have enough MP's left to make a much closer crop on the flower. Try filling the UL corner with the green sepals and filling the rest of the frame with those gorgeous shades of pink.

Satish Ranadive
10-08-2012, 02:22 AM
Excellent image.Love the colors and great details in this interesting flower.

Regards,
Satish.

Steve Maxson
10-08-2012, 09:50 AM
Hi Bob. I like the different approach you took and your image has very nice light, color, sharpness, and DOF. I'm not as sold on the comp. :S3: I think that either including the whole flower or moving in tighter would improve the image. Also, the black background looks a little blotchy on my monitor - especially on the left side of the frame - I would suggest darkening the blacks further to achieve a pure black. You have a good image here and a few tweaks will make it shine!

Jonathan Ashton
10-10-2012, 04:59 PM
An interesting image, I agree with the aforesaid comments i.e. a little tighter or looser. I would also desaturate the green stem a little bit. If the image was cropped I think it would be worth a repost becasue it really does make an interesting image.