PDA

View Full Version : Yellow-rumped Warbler

Kent Wilson
04-23-2008, 07:54 AM
I don't like the shadow a small branch cast across the back of the bird. Anyway to get rid of it in PS? Would fill flash have eliminated the problem?

Canon 40D
100-400 @400mm
1/800, f/6.3, ISO 400
Av, multi-segment
Exp Comp +1/3

Gus Cobos
04-23-2008, 08:29 AM
Hi Kent,
Very nice image and composition, like the dual tone background and the details on the bird, the eye-face area could use just a slight touch of lightening and sharpening...:)

Julie Kenward
04-23-2008, 08:39 AM
very nice image, Kent! So crisp and detailed! There are a couple of things you could try to eliminate the shadow (although it doesn't bother me as much as it does you.) You could highlight the area and do a reduction of brightness to bring the two closer together. Another option would be to download a "paint with light" action (there's one at www.atncentral.com (http://www.atncentral.com) for free) and then use a brush to "paint" the area lighter. If you need any help drop me an email at heyjules.mwg@gmail.com.

Alfred Forns
04-23-2008, 08:44 AM
Hi Kent

Fill flash would have minimized the shadow If it was narrower/less area you could use quick mask and remove As its presented you might be better off lightening to make it less noticeable The image does look good but it detracts a lot It is difficult to make an image look good in mixed lighting

There is also something going on with the bottom right? Did you try cloning something out? Sure would look nice an even bg without the dark Also a slight head turn would have been nice Did a slight crop modification to tighten the image Also tried removing the shadow and was unable Must be over two stop difference.

Kent Wilson
04-23-2008, 10:37 AM
I did try lightening the shadow in PS. the problem I encountered was that there is also a blue cast as well as being darker. Thanks Julie, for the suggestions. I have downloaded the files you mentioned and I'll try them.

Thanks, Alfred. In bottom right, I did get rid of some brush using the APTATS technique and the clone tool. The dark blue comes from out of focus water in the background. I could do a better job of fixing that, but if I can't get the shadow fixed, it's not good enough.

Alfred Forns
04-23-2008, 04:58 PM
Hi Kent

Did some work on the corner to remove the dark areas Did not protected the brach as good as I should.

I selected the branch and inverted Then filled in the area with the color form the upper. For the shadow tried again and looks weird We might need Robert O himself on this one You are correct in that there is the shadow and a cast It is possible (simple) to remove the cast but leaves the area not exactly like the other side.

When I'm photographing and see a bird partly in shadows will always pass up the image. Have struggled many times trying to bring them back !!!!!!

...........See the importance of fully protecting when cloning around an area ... Branch !!!!!

Kent Wilson
04-23-2008, 09:20 PM
Thanks, all. I appreciate your help very much. You have improved the image quite a bit. I hoped I;ve learned a lesson or two!