PDA

View Full Version : Cape Cross Fur Seal

Rachel Hollander
10-03-2012, 06:44 AM
Another shot from my visit to the Cape Cross Fur Seal colony in Namibia and the elevated walkway there.

Canon 7D
100-400 @ 400mm
1/250
f5.6
ISO 400
EC +.67
HH from elevated walkway, slight crop for comp, levels, curves, selective color and sharpened in CS5.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Andreas Liedmann
10-03-2012, 07:45 AM
Hi Rachel, nicely processed portrait of these stinky creatures.
Like the colors and the contrast,but think there is room for some more tonal contrast and you can bring more sheen to those eyes.
Composition is working , but i am thinking of a tighter crop with less room on top and RHS.

RP is made with some more mid tone contrast and more life in the eyes, i think.So i am not sure if the blacks are too strong now. WDYT?

TFS Andreas

laurie golden
10-03-2012, 08:19 PM
Rachel,

This one must be a young one. I don't know anything about these guys but I love the way that his ears are drooping that matches the curve of his mouth and whiskers. Very nice portrait and great background.

Hilary Hann
10-04-2012, 12:59 AM
Sweet face and the background works well. I think I like Andreas' repost as the seal does have a bit more zing in it, but nicely done.

Rachel Hollander
10-04-2012, 05:42 AM
Thanks Laurie, Andreas and Hilary, much appreciated.

Steve Kaluski
10-04-2012, 07:29 AM
Hi Rachel, at this age how can you not love these guys, those eyes...

I think you did well on the techs, especially the DOF, as quite often these kind of shots are difficult to nail, getting both, eyes & nose sharp, so well done. I do think the image could take some selective adjustments in Curves just to add a bit more 'depth' to it, but agree Andreas, you may have pushed it ever so slightly too much, but all subjective. I also think you could apply a little more selective sharpening to the eyes & nose area, it can take it. Personally a crop between the two might be closer, keeping less room to the LHS. BKG & OOF seals works, but just watch that darker seal creeping in bottom RH corner.

TFS
Steve

Jamie Douglas
10-05-2012, 01:40 AM
Hi Rachel, I saw this on my way to work yesterday but didn't get a chance to comment. Steve has hit all the nails on the head for me but I want to add that I like the head angle and you got lots of detail in the face. Nice one.

Rachel Hollander
10-05-2012, 08:15 AM
Thanks Steve and Jamie :wave:

Morkel Erasmus
10-09-2012, 04:01 PM
Doesn't look "elevated" at all - nice portrait Rachel. I like Andreas' crop and adjustments. I would even consider going full vertical crop here.

Rachel Hollander
10-09-2012, 06:44 PM
Thanks Morkel. I think he's probably too big in the frame for a vertical crop to work.:Whoa!: Won't be able to have traditional proportions.