PDA

View Full Version : My Trophy.

dankearl
10-03-2012, 01:20 AM
I consider this a trophy on the wall.

1/1000, f7.1, iso200, 420mm (300 f2.8w/ 2.4 tc) D800, Handheld

DSC_2282bp4.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=119124&stc=1&d=1349245146)

Andreas Liedmann
10-03-2012, 02:35 AM
Hi Dan,
good portrait shot with detail and sharpness where it counts, colors looking good too.The grass in the mouth is a nice bonus, like wise those shiny clear eyes makes the image for me, full of life.

The major thing here for me is the comp , too tight at the top and too much space on RHS.I would go if you have it with more room on top, think you can even make a canvas extension, with this kind of BG, without looking odd.Then cropping to a tighter head portrait.
At the same time you get rid of the hot looking fur on RHS.

The flowers adding a nice contrast to the green grass.

The head and surrounding looks nicely processed , Dan.

TFS Andreas

Steve Kaluski
10-03-2012, 05:09 AM
Hi Dan, well expose with good detail & tone, overall very good IQ.

When I first viewed it, and without reading Andreas's reply, I must admit I had the same thoughts and I feel this would offer a far better and more striking/powerful image overall, sadly you would then loose the subtle wild flowers. Looks like these guys are providing some excellent photo opportunities for you.

TFS
Steve

Gerald Kelberg
10-03-2012, 06:06 AM
Hi Dan,

Nice young stag ("bull"?) and I like the light the sharpness and the flowers! But I have to agree with Andreas and Steve, that the composition isn't really working. Good suggestions from them - but then it is going to be a different shot to the one you had in mind!

Thanks for sharing,

Gerald

Rachel Hollander
10-03-2012, 06:23 AM
Dan- I have to say that when I looked at the image before reading the others' comments my first thought was the comp didn't work for me. I'm not a fan of the cut-off leg with space behind it so I would crop from the rhs to get rid of the leg altogether. It is tight above and if you have more room to the lhs I would consider going to a more traditional landscape format, losing some off the bottom too. The flowers are nice but don't do enough for me to warrant saving them. For me, the real star is the elk with the warm tones, catchlight and nice detail you have brought out.

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
10-04-2012, 08:57 AM
Some good comp/crop suggestions given already so I won't re-hash that.
It's a pity that the flowers at the bottom will have to go in order to get to a better overall placement/crop of the deer head.
Nice clarity and detail here, Dan.