PDA

View Full Version : Female Red-breasted merganser bathing

Dennis Zaebst
10-02-2012, 05:49 PM
This photo was taken of a bathing female merganser at Ding Darling. I would appreciate any thoughts/critiques/epiphanies on the photo...its composition, exposure, technique, etc.

Secondarily, this photo received rather low ratings on another site. I would appreciate any insight on why...was it too pedestrian/common of an image? Nothing interesting about it?

Thanks and best regards,
Dennis

Dennis Zaebst
10-02-2012, 05:55 PM
Sorry, forgot to add tech details: 7D, 500 f/4 L IS + EF 1.4x TC, ISO 800, f/9 @ 1/1600.

Randy Stout
10-02-2012, 07:28 PM
Dennis:

Well, you are obviously hanging out on the wrong site :t3, as I think it is a good picture, with a excellent pose, angle in frame, well exposed. Not a common bird either.

I like seeing the feet in the water.

A bit tight on the left side, and for my taste, I would crop up to just above your sig on the bottom. I might very slightly soften the shadows on the breast created by the light angle from your left a bit.

Cheers

Randy

Dennis Zaebst
10-02-2012, 09:27 PM
Thank you Randy! Much appreciated!

Best regards,
Dennis

Robert Holguin
10-03-2012, 03:00 AM
Very nice shot. I really like the flapping pose, nice light, and nice details.
Well done.

Marina Scarr
10-03-2012, 08:37 AM
Great pose on this one, Dennis, with good exposure in fairly harsh light. Nice blue BG with ripple effect. First thing is that your image needs some CW rotation. If you bring a ruler down from your bird's chest down to its reflection, you will notice they don't match. Next I would crop to above your signature line as Randy mentioned to where the black and white feathers begin. I would then a little space on top and more on the left to make room for those lovely flapping wings.

Nico Steenberg
10-03-2012, 03:35 PM
Great pose and sharp details. I like the colours and comp. Well done !

Karen Forderer
10-03-2012, 05:19 PM
I think it is a great shot; sharp and good exposure. I think these are lovely birds. I like the ripple in the water and the reflection and feet showing. I would be very happy with this photo.

Dennis Zaebst
10-03-2012, 10:37 PM
Great pose on this one, Dennis, with good exposure in fairly harsh light. Nice blue BG with ripple effect. First thing is that your image needs some CW rotation. If you bring a ruler down from your bird's chest down to its reflection, you will notice they don't match. Next I would crop to above your signature line as Randy mentioned to where the black and white feathers begin. I would then a little space on top and more on the left to make room for those lovely flapping wings.

Thanks for your kind comments Marina; they are much appreciated. I am not clear on what you mean by needing some CW rotation. If I rotate the image clockwise, the chest will move right, and the reflection will move left. How will that make them match? Can you elaborate? Thanks !

Best regards,
Dennis

Karl Egressy
10-04-2012, 08:28 AM
Great wing flapping captured very nicely. Excellent timeing.

Marina Scarr
10-04-2012, 10:14 AM
Hi Dennis:

Sorry Dennis, I meant CCW rotation. Instead of using the reflection of the breast, I have used the dark vertical line of feathers just behind where the body meets the wing. You would of course want to do this on your uncropped version.

Dennis Zaebst
10-04-2012, 10:35 AM
Hello everyone, and thanks for all the positive feedback. I have attached (I hope) a revision. I toned down the highlights just a bit, re-cropped, and employed a CCW rotation. Perhaps this is an improvement over the original. I am always willing to learn new things!

Best regards,

Dennis