PDA

View Full Version : Weird beauty!

Jason Stander
10-02-2012, 01:34 PM
Hi all... 2 weekends ago I went camping with friends and family at "Eiland Spa" Tzaneen South Africa... I was so excited to go as the macro opportunities are always great and I always stumbled on something that I have never seen before... now when they were talk about a crab spiders (one that I have never seen before)... then they were talking about this one... she was a beauty (+/-5mm) and looks like a hermit crab... and when I spotted her she even presented me with a prey... I was delighted!!!!! Oh how I love the weird beauty of the small world!!!

Canon 60D
Canon MP-E 65mm f2.8
Canon MT-24EX Macro-twinlite (diffused)

Aperture: f16
Magnification: 2.5x
Shutter speed: 1/100
ISO: 100
Handheld

Crits and comments always welcome... ENJOY!:w3

Jonathan Ashton
10-02-2012, 01:44 PM
Jason you have superb lighting there leading to a beautiful portrait of the spider. The DOF is just excellent, maybe just a tad more would have been perfect though I must admit I do not know if that is a practicality with that lens? Is it possible to use the lens at lower magnification(s)?
Your exposure, colours and sharpening look good, though just possibly the yellows on the right may be a tad OTT (?) I look forward to more images like this!

Jerry van Dijk
10-02-2012, 02:52 PM
Hi Jason, that is one weird spider. I've never seen anything like it before. As you say, it's just lovely to see a whole new world when you look through your macro lens. I'd add a bit more contrast/clarity to the image to give it a bit more 'pop'.

Bob Miller
10-02-2012, 11:43 PM
Jason...nice capture esp HH> I would suggest darkening the legs a bit to create more seperation from the yellow flower. I would also suggest using a faster shutter speed to enhance sharpness when you are this close. You could do this by raising the ISO to 200

Steve Maxson
10-04-2012, 11:06 AM
Hi Jason. What a cool looking little spider! I haven't seen anything like this on my side of the pond. The spider gave you a nice pose and the prey item is a big plus. I like the even lighting you achieved with the diffused flash and you have good sharpness within the limited DOF that this lens offers. This is very nicely done! :cheers:

Jason Stander
10-04-2012, 12:21 PM
Thank you for all the comments and views... much appreciated!:w3

Satish Ranadive
10-08-2012, 09:27 AM
Wonderful image.Love it.

Regards,
Satish.

Jason Stander
10-11-2012, 12:09 PM
Thank you Satish!

Tim King