PDA

View Full Version : Sundowners on the Zambezi

Morkel Erasmus
10-01-2012, 02:18 PM
On our first afternoon in Mana Pools National Park, Zimbabwe, we found some elephant bulls in the pearly-sand riverbed of the Zambezi. I was able to crouch down opposite this big boy (on the other side of the small stream he is drinking from) to get this low perspective. The late afternoon light through the haze of fires on the Zambian side did the rest.

A magical start to a magical trip. :Whoa!:
I am in the process of putting together an itinerary for a photographic safari that I will lead to Mana Pools next year...can't wait to be back! :c3:

Techs:
Nikon D7000 with Nikkor 70-200mm f2.8 VR-II @ 135mm
f5.6 @ 1/500 SS @ ISO-560
pretty much all of full frame as shot :t3

Rachel Hollander
10-01-2012, 05:28 PM
Hi Morkel - nice golden light and I like the low perspective. I also like the view of the hills in the distance. Would prefer if the fallen tree wasn't intersecting the leg but I know how you feel about cloning. I think I would have liked a little more space below and maybe an all water bottom edge if possible. I hope you enjoyed an amarula after taking this one. Looking forward to seeing many more of your shots from Mana Pools.

TFS,
Rachel

dankearl
10-01-2012, 06:05 PM
It doesn't get much sharper and the light and water splash add interest.
I also would like a bit more water, but the overall image is very nice.

Jamie Douglas
10-02-2012, 12:13 AM
Good choice with the low angle as it helps give a sense of size Morkel. Spot on processing and not nits there.

Good luck with putting together your safari plans and I am sure your images and skill will certainly lure the punters.

Jamie

Hilary Hann
10-02-2012, 04:10 AM
I love the quality of this image, including the light and detail. Very nice being able to see the water droplets and the background hills add to the depth.

Steve Kaluski
10-02-2012, 07:56 AM
Hi Morkel, I'm in agreement with Rachel on the space & the tree, plus with Hilary on the droplets & BKG.

I'm not reposting, but just apply 'Fix warm whites' to the image. Personally I think it gives a cleaner/fresher 'look & feel' to the image, try it and let me know. :S3:

TFS
Steve

Andreas Liedmann
10-03-2012, 02:21 AM
Hi Morkel,
like the soft colors and the composition, so do not mind about the FG.Maybe if the waterline would start in the LLC would be a bit better, but no deal breaker.It would have been great to get all the water droplets more visible, but not really possible, i think.
The layered FG to BG looks nice too, with different colors and tones giving a good depth to the image.
Would be interesting to see the magic `fix warm whites`effect that Steve was referring to,if you have the time please RP with these moves.

TFS Andreas

Gerald Kelberg
10-03-2012, 06:29 AM
Hi Morkel,

The low point of view really makes this for me. The light and the background also help. And I don't really expect pristine backgrounds, so the branches behind the legs don't bother me at all.

Thanks for sharing,

Gerald

Morkel Erasmus
10-05-2012, 06:32 AM
Thanks so much for the kind feedback folks.

Over the weekend I will do 2 things:
1. see if there's more space at the bottom
2. rework with "fix warm whites" (which I presume is a reference to Robert's luminosity action, Steve :t3)

I'll do a repost if there's an improvement.
:5

Morkel Erasmus
10-07-2012, 03:07 PM
Sorry guys. No more room at the bottom - well, there's a little but the image was a tad skew so in rotating I had to sacrifice some "river".

Here's a repost with the Nik Whites Neutralisation action applied (thanks Steve).
Tried to minimise its effect on the droplets.

Austin Thomas
10-08-2012, 04:25 PM
Great detail in the subject Morkel and the angle of view is perfect to keep my interest. I like the water droplets falling from the mouth very much. The hills in the BKGR are also good. If anything could have improved this picture it would have been a more dramatic sky, in my humble opinion. The sky as seen is fairly bland.

Cheers

Austin