PDA

View Full Version : Auchterlonie

Rudi van den Heever
10-01-2012, 01:09 PM
This image was taken at Auchterlonie in the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park. The homestead is actually a museum illustrating the simple but sufficient way of life the earlier farmers enjoyed in the dry kalahari...

Single exposure with the following gear and settings:-

Canon EOS 50D with a Canon 18-200mm at 18mm and a circular polarizer filter
Exposure time: 0.0005 s (1/2000), Aperture: f/5.6, ISO equiv.: 200

The image was firstly processed as color image in LR4 and CS6, whereafter I did the conversion in Silver Efex Pro.

Chuffed with the outcome, as the image was taken at 11H21.

All crits and comments welcome!

Rudi van den Heever
10-01-2012, 02:53 PM
The color image can be viewed on my blog... http://linruphotography.blogspot.com/2012/10/image-comparison-auchterlonie.html

Rachel Hollander
10-02-2012, 06:16 AM
Rudi - I much prefer the color version. I think the b&w loses the great tones of the building and surrounds and the gorgeous sky.

TFS,
Rachel

Grady Weed
10-03-2012, 02:20 PM
Rudi,

I looked at both versions, color & B&W. I am a big fan of B&W properly done. Your posted B&W version here looks a bit too over done, to me, especially in the sky, from the left to the right and in between. I think your image is a really nice one, just too processed. i have never used Silver Efex Pro and would not begin to be able to help tone it done using that program. But...the posted image is worth any efforts to change it. I like your work, perhaps it is just me on this image. The color version has lots of nice tones in the sky and the crop is very well placed on both. I hope I have not offended you, I did not mean to. Thank you for posting it.

Here is a post that has similar issues, shall I say, for lack of a better term: http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/103163. The thought of it almost looking like an IR image is perhaps close to what I am seeing here. Again, maybe it is just me.

Morkel Erasmus
10-03-2012, 04:51 PM
Rudi - I like this and I miss the place when I see it.
Now, having seen the colour version...I think I prefer it! The tonal range in the B&W conversion is great, the colour version just has more "oomph" for me.
:bg3:

Here is a post that has similar issues, shall I say, for lack of a better term: http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/103163. The thought of it almost looking like an IR image is perhaps close to what I am seeing here. Again, maybe it is just me.

Thanks for your thoughts, Grady. Would love for you to weigh in on that thread of mine as well :t3.

Rudi van den Heever
10-04-2012, 02:01 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys (and gal), it is much appreciated!

I also like the color version a lot, but those clouds and contrast in the sky screamed for monochrome!:tinysmile_shy_t:

Grady, not offended at all! I know, you either love a certain B&W image or you hate it - very subjective... Silver Efex makes processing monochrome a treat and you will be surprised at how little effort and processing went into this image!:w3