PDA

View Full Version : Common darter coming in to land

Jonathan Ashton
09-29-2012, 04:09 PM
Tripod, Canon 7D canon 100-400mm macro ISO 800 -0.3 1/2500 sec f8
Yet another shot taken by my garden pond a few weeks since, this was one of a series, this time he was coming in to land.
Al comments welcome.

christopher galeski
09-30-2012, 04:15 AM
nice capture Jonathan,like how the colors of the plant and darter go together,would tone downthe light colors in the BG.thanks.

Jon Rista
09-30-2012, 12:18 PM
Great shot. I like the composition here. Same as Christopher, I like how the plant and the darter go together...roughly the same color. I think the background could be darkened a bit...maybe blurred a bit, but even as is, its a good photo. I love using telephoto lenses to capture small-world scenes like this...sometimes when your out and about looking for birds, there is a whole tiny world of wonder just below your elbows, just waiting for that telephoto lens to be pointed downward. :)

Steve Maxson
10-01-2012, 11:18 AM
Hi Jon. Very nice job of capturing this difficult subject and getting both the dragonfly and perch sharp! The background is nicely blurred, but the bright area behind the dragonfly is drawing my eye - I would suggest trying to darken it. Overall, this is a very strong image!

Jerry van Dijk
10-02-2012, 03:11 PM
Very well done Jonathan! You've captured exactly the right moment. I'd be inclined to take a slice off the right to balance the composition (because of the perch being so close to the left hand side of the frame).

Bob Miller
10-02-2012, 11:22 PM
Jon....very nice capture with good composition. Does the bg need some noise adjustment? Love your work!

Jonathan Ashton
10-05-2012, 03:43 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone, I think you are right about the background.

Ken Childs
10-15-2012, 11:07 AM
Hey Jon,

The bright spot in the BG has been covered so the only other change I might like to see would be to add a tiny bit to the bottom, that is if you have some to add. I'd like to see a bit more of the stem so the split isn't so close to being cut off. Other than that, this is a fantastic capture!

Tim King
11-19-2012, 09:49 AM
Nicely timed. Great all-round photo. Fine job.