PDA

View Full Version : Sunset on the Namib

Rachel Hollander
09-29-2012, 08:59 AM
Another Namibia landscape. Taken at sunset from our camp in the Namib.

Canon 5D3
16-35II @ 35mm
1/250
f7.1
ISO 400
HH, cropped for comp, luminosity mask, levels, curves, LCE, Hougaard Malan action, and sharpened in CS5.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

dankearl
09-30-2012, 07:07 PM
Stark and beautiful, the layering is very nice, from dark to light and the muted colors are very nice.
Maybe just a tad off the top would look nice for me.

Dave Mills
09-30-2012, 10:34 PM
Hi Rachel, nice lighting on the rock formations. There isn't much happening in the sky and with the current amount devoted to it is taking away from the strength of the hills.IMO this image says pano crop....

Morkel Erasmus
10-01-2012, 02:31 PM
Love the light on those mountains, Rachel. I do like the whispy clouds, and support Dave's pano crop suggestion, though I would crop some from the bottom and then from the top to right above the top-most horizontally streaked cloud spanning the frame.
:5

Rachel Hollander
10-01-2012, 07:49 PM
Thanks Dan, Dave and Morkel. I agree this would probably look best as a pano. Most of my open Namibia landscapes work better as panos. It seems that August (or at least this August) just doesn't have the interesting skies and clouds present at other times.

Thanks,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
10-01-2012, 11:18 PM
Thanks Dan, Dave and Morkel. I agree this would probably look best as a pano. Most of my open Namibia landscapes work better as panos. It seems that August (or at least this August) just doesn't have the interesting skies and clouds present at other times.

Thanks,
Rachel

The best time for dramatic weather is Feb-March when there are almost daily spectacular thunderstorms and the most amazing light.
Check out Hougaard Malan's gallery on his website and also some of Mark Dumbleton's new Namibia shots (http://markdumbleton.com/namibian-landscape/)

Rachel Hollander
10-02-2012, 06:11 AM
Thanks Morkel for the links and info.

Stan Cunningham
10-17-2012, 10:58 AM
I will be hoping for clouds in June, but probably not to be. I agree with the pano crop above, although as it is gives the viewer a sense of the vastness of the area. Pano usually lose that to me any way.

Rachel Hollander
10-17-2012, 07:28 PM
Thanks Stan. Where in Namibia are you going?