PDA

View Full Version : Eland in the Mara

Russell Johnson
09-29-2012, 07:44 AM
Hi All, finally got a free weekend to process and image or two.....

I took this image in the Olare Orok Conservancy in March, which borders the Masai Mara. If you are adverse to crowds, as I am, this place is small piece of heavan.

The conservancy was setup in 2009, when an agreement with the Masai meant they moved out of the area in return for a monthly income. They are still allowed to graze their cattle, however there are a number of restrictions and it done mainly in the low season. As a result, the wildlife in the area is booming, and there is the added benefit of walking and offroading.

We found this Eland early one morning and he happily moved into position against a mist covered Siria escarpment. What I did not realise at the time, was the Masai village in the valley, a piece of community land not yet part of a conservancy. After reviewing a couple of landscape images of the same scene, I wanted to clone it all out etc. A couple of months later at home, I feel this represents the current state of the greater Mara ecosytem;

1) The success of the conservancies and the populations of rarer antelope like Eland
2) The stunning landscapes
3) The challenges facing wildlife in Kenya due to human/wildlife conflict.

Anyway, image techs

1D Mark IV
100-400
220mm @ F8
1/320 @ ISO 800

Post Processing - Levels, Curves, dodge/burning, Nik Toanl Contrast and a stack of Luminosity Masks.

Rachel Hollander
09-29-2012, 08:06 AM
Hi Russell - nice light, pose and I like the layers of the mist, the plains and the escarpment. I'm not sure about the village either. Not much you could do about it but I feel it makes the lhs a bit busy. As you suggested, cloning it out comes down to your personal taste and ethics.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
09-29-2012, 10:30 AM
Hi Russell, nice intro to the image, it does help.

Shooting early morning where the light is a little flat sometimes isn't a bad thing, with the mist slowing moving off. I do like the open space in the image and if you hadn't mentioned it I doubt if I would have noticed the village, however I would vote for keeping it, as this is how it was in this particular image and would give context. Likewise, no need to flip the image. I just wonder if adding some more tone into tye main body would help define more the form & structure? love the subtlety of ox peckers, nice touch. Overall a very restful image IMHO.

TFS, nice to see you back.

Steve :wave:

Jamie Douglas
09-30-2012, 01:30 PM
Hi Russell, Steve makes a good point about increasing the tone on the main body and I'd maybe reduce the contrast in the overall image. Grass looks a little contrasty IMO.

Morkel Erasmus
09-30-2012, 02:45 PM
Good to see you posting again, Russel :5
I love the early morning mood and the layering. I immediately noticed the village and thought at first it might be your camp/lodge :t3, understand and agree with your reasons for leaving it in.
I concur with the suggestion for adding a hint more "oomph" to the eland's body, and with toning down the grass contrast slightly.
I would also perhaps crop the sky from the top?
Good to see someone else who likes to use luminosity masks in wildlife processing :cheers:

Andreas Liedmann
10-01-2012, 01:07 AM
Hi Russel,
like the moody morning colors,contrast and composition.Think it all fits together just right, for me.

Only thing is , i would crop out the sky.

Cheers Andreas

Russell Johnson
10-01-2012, 03:32 AM
Thanks Morkel, Steve and Jamie

I had a quick look at the file last night and found the offending layer adjustment for all what you have picked up on. I tried to use a B&W layer (set to luminosity) to get some more pop between background and Eland and pushed it too far. Darkened the greens and blues too much, and increased the yellow/reds which made the image lose contrast.

Will get a RP up tomorrow, as there is an editing ban on my wedding anniversary :)

Russell Johnson
10-01-2012, 03:35 AM
Hi Russel,
like the moody morning colors,contrast and composition.Think it all fits together just right, for me.

Only thing is , i would crop out the sky.

Cheers Andreas

Thanks, Andreas.

Understand your reasoning on the sky, and I may cut a little more off. My personal feeling is that it gives the image (escarpement) more depth and scale

Steve Kaluski
10-01-2012, 04:05 AM
My personal feeling is that it gives the image (escarpement) more depth and scale

I would agree Russell.

Don't forget, 'The Card!', :bg3: how many years now?

Russell Johnson
10-01-2012, 04:12 AM
I would agree Russell.

Don't forget, 'The Card!', :bg3: how many years now?

Have only been married 12 months, Steve.

We are off to Paris on Friday for the weekend :)

Steve Kaluski
10-01-2012, 04:27 AM

Russell how well do you know it, can give you some good places, been going there for almost 20 years. In fear of going 'off topic', drop me a email, or we can talk when convenient.

Morkel Erasmus
10-01-2012, 03:13 PM
Have only been married 12 months, Steve.

Congrats, and enjoy!! :5 :cheers:

Russell Johnson
10-05-2012, 01:11 AM
Thanks for all your well wishes. I am leaving for Paris this evening after work - get to leave early, which is a 5pm finish for me :)

A quick repost that I have worked on over the last few days when I get a few minutes.

Steve Kaluski
10-05-2012, 02:11 AM
Hi Russell, looks good ma amie, bon vacance, bon anniversaire! :cheers: