PDA

View Full Version : Silver throated Tanager

Richard Unsworth
09-29-2012, 05:44 AM
:S3:

Outside the restraunt at Savegre Mouintain Lodge, CR

Certainly an eyeful when you first see them, here is waiting around the feeding station.
BG is house wall as some will know exactly the place.

Bit of S&H, denoise and sharpening, slight reduction in yellow sat.

7D 100-400 F5.6 iso640 eV +.33 TRIPOD, 1/400 FL 390
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Bill Dix
09-29-2012, 05:06 PM
These are gorgeous birds, and you've caught him with nice detail and great eye contact. I had a Flame-colored Tanager against that same building a few years back, and the building clashed so much with the bird that I completely desaturated the bg, with some success (at least that's what I thought). The clash isn't nearly as bad here, but some might find it a little distracting. Just food for thought.

MohsenVahedipour
09-29-2012, 11:38 PM
What a lovely bird & BG! Excellent details & pose.

Shawn Zierman
09-30-2012, 02:33 AM
The subject is beautiful and looks great. A slight head turn away from you would have yielded an
improved head angle, but as is, it's just fine. I rather like the bg color and the way that the bird
shows against it. However, the bottom of the frame looks odd, all dark like that, and so abruptly.
A suggestion would be to extend the orange color of the bg all the way through the bottom of the frame.
Actually, the time to do that would have been at the point of capture by simply lowering your shooting
perspective slightly...

Satish Ranadive
09-30-2012, 03:52 AM
Wonderful image of beautiful bird.very nice colors and great details.Love it.

Regards,
Satish.

Richard Unsworth
09-30-2012, 04:57 AM
Thanks all

Shaun; yep good comment too quick for me and was on tripod, should have shifted focus point around!
however easy task to paint out as color is very uniform above :-)

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Craig Kerr
09-30-2012, 06:59 AM
Superb image... Love the colors and detail in the image - Agree with Shawn's suggestion regarding the background

Richard Unsworth
09-30-2012, 07:25 AM
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">:S3:

Just for you

I used a nice soft brush at 35% opacity and blew in the BG.
i DECIDED NOT TO DESAT THE bg

Hope you like it!

Arthur Morris
09-30-2012, 09:07 AM
Yes to a bit less of a head turn; about 3 degrees towards us is ideal for a field guide portrait. Nice bird and image. I'd take a nice bit off the bottom of each version, just a bit less than half way up the perch behind the birdie.

Frank Schauf
09-30-2012, 11:47 AM
Beautiful and colorful image. Sharp and well composed.

Richard Unsworth
09-30-2012, 11:57 AM
Thanks Frank

and heres a recrop for Arthur!<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">