PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Whale Tale

Jamie Douglas
09-29-2012, 02:26 AM
The humpback whale (Megaptera novaeangliae) has to be one of the most awesome mammals on the planet and while I was out on a tour with the Tofino Whale Centre last week, we were treated to a very exciting encounter when we got a call over the radio from one of the other tour boats to say they had found a flirtatious whale ten miles out to sea. This whale spent roughly 30 minutes swimming alongside and underneath our boat. At one point I did think to myself, I hope this whale doesn't have a change of heart. The first nation captain explained that this was only the 2nd time in thirteen years that he has seen this behavior and he goes out every day. Not sure if he was fishing for tips but it made the experience a little more special.

*The image was made from the back of the boat when the whale surfaced and then went underneath us. The tour boats are regulated to keep a certain distance but if the whale chooses to come close then that is the whale’s choice. It came up spy hopping three times almost an arm reach from the boat and I only wish I had a hand grip strap for my 7D so I could have hung the camera off the side of the boat and got a lower angle.

* Sorry Jamie, had to edit the images and text, only one image per thread in a Critique is allowed, as per Rule 19.

One of the best 30 minutes of my life.

Famous last words before we boarded the boat...

My brother: "Do you think you will need your polarizer?"
Me:"Nah" if we encounter a whale it will probs be too far from teh boat".

Main image techs, Canon 7D with Canon 17-40 at 17mm, F5.6, 1/1000, ISO400.

:cheers: Cheers folks.

Rachel Hollander
09-29-2012, 07:45 AM
Hi Jamie - It is amazing when they get that close. I was fortunate to have a similar experience on a small boat cruise in Alaska and also from our zodiac on that trip. Did you get sprayed from its blow? Not a great smell. On the main image, its different than most in that it's right before the fluke is up in the air as the whale dives. I like the barnacles, the low pov and the wake. I'm not sure of the comp but don't really have another suggestion for you.:eek3:

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
09-29-2012, 10:16 AM
Hi Jamie, This would have been an excellent image if, as Rachel said, the whale fluked..., with that and the colours it would have been an excellent image. I think that coal black water, dark sky and overall colour sets the scene nicely. All I would do is straighten the horizon and leave the rest. Certainly a memory you won't forget in a hurry. Seems this trip was full of memories :bg3:

Jamie Douglas
09-30-2012, 11:01 AM
Did you get sprayed from its blow? Not a great smell.

TFS,
Rachel

didn't just smell the blow also got splashed by it. The whale came up right beside me and my friend and we got it in the face. Not one of the most pleasant experiences of that day. Nothing compared to the smell of the stellar sea lion colony we visited on the way. That took your breath away :)

Thanks for commenting Steve and Rachel. Unfortunately the whale did not fluke at this moment. It was too busy striking centerfold poses near the surface and going under the boat. I think the poor whale was feeling amorous.

I like this image because it is a little different from the normal humpback images.

cheers

Jamie

Steve Canuel
09-30-2012, 11:43 AM
A neat and different shot Jamie. I like the fact that the tail is not fluking. With the body diving below the bottom frame, the tail just partially visible, and the flat ocean surface as far as one can see, this captures what I think every time I get near the ocean, "What's lurking just below the surface of the water?"

Jamie Douglas
09-30-2012, 01:36 PM
A neat and different shot Jamie. I like the fact that the tail is not fluking. With the body diving below the bottom frame, the tail just partially visible, and the flat ocean surface as far as one can see, this captures what I think every time I get near the ocean, "What's lurking just below the surface of the water?"

Cheers Steve. I am glad to hear that the image provokes some sense of the unknown. Sometimes its better to leave an element to the imagnination IMO.

Thanks for your feedback. I think this one will go up in the bathroom.

Jamie

Morkel Erasmus
09-30-2012, 04:48 PM
I quite like this, Jamie...certainly I get a sense of the closeness of this encounter. Valid points made about the fluke etc...yet I agree with Steve C about the mood of this image and the tones.
I am sure we will see some more in any regard! :5

Andreas Liedmann
10-01-2012, 12:56 AM
Hi Jamie,
like the colors and the overall contrast , with the body popping out nicely,from the flat ocean.
Think you should run lens correction for straighten the horizon.And maybe run a linear mask only to the sky.
Composition is different to most fluke shots , but i think that adds interest in that way.

Nicely processed.

Cheers Andreas

Jamie Douglas
10-01-2012, 11:43 PM
Cheers Morkel, I am in the process of working on the rest. Hope you enjoyed your 30th :cheers:

Andreas, here is a version with a linear mask on the sky. I kinda like it :5 . I applied lens correction in ACR and for some reason cannot get the ruler to straighten the horizon perfectly.

Any thoughts anyone re the ruler?

Grady Weed
10-03-2012, 06:27 PM
Those barnacles really make it for me. The whale stands out nicely from the ocean, not something eaisly acomplished when you are excited. Good control of the technicals and overall image.

Jamie Douglas
10-03-2012, 11:40 PM
Those barnacles really make it for me. The whale stands out nicely from the ocean, not something eaisly acomplished when you are excited. Good control of the technicals and overall image.

Thank very much Grady. I had to control my excitement and at the same time tell myself, I had better enjoy this short experience but make sure I come away with a few special images to share. :5