PDA

View Full Version : Young Meadow Vole

Ryan Schain
09-28-2012, 12:21 PM
This is the first time I've seen a Meadow Vole that A. wasn't quickly crossing the road or path, or B. wasn't being eaten by a Northern Harrier or Great Blue Heron! I noticed this guy in the road, got down to ground level for ultra-low angle photographs, and then herded it off the road to safety.

Canon EOS 7D
Canon EF 100-400 mm F/4.5-5.6 L IS

1/640
f/6.3
400 mm
ISO 400

Andrew Merwin
09-28-2012, 04:34 PM
Ryan, it's nice to see a different critter here. I like the shallow DoF & the narrow strip of colored rocks in the road bed. He/she pops from the BG which I think compliments the subject quite well. I also like seeing his feet & I like how the tail disappears into the BG. TFS.

Marina Scarr
09-28-2012, 08:59 PM
It's quite refreshing to see a new species. Love how you got down low. I am wondering whether the road was slightly tiled or whether your horizon needs to be straightened just a tad. It's a bit awkward that the vole doesn't appear to have any ears. I like that you can see his toes so well and the varied colors in the pebbles are a nice touch.

Steve Kaluski
09-29-2012, 06:22 AM
Hi Ryan, firstly have you increased the 'blurring' to the image?

A slight CCW rotation would be good as Marina mention and I like the space around the subject, you eye is just drawn to it, perhaps that is due to the very muted environment, hence my first question. I would also look at using a little highlight/shadow to open the face/eye up more. Is this a crop, or FF? If FF then perhaps a little more selective USM too.

TFS
Steve