PDA

View Full Version : Relaxed and content.

Stu Bowie
09-28-2012, 10:08 AM
Im looking forward to be going back to Botswana in a few weeks time, and this was captured in the Mashatu reserve where I will be returning to. I liked the casual pose and eye contact.

Canon 50D
100-400 @ 160mm
1/200
F/6.3
ISO 400

Manual exposure

External flash.

Rachel Hollander
09-28-2012, 10:45 AM
Hi Stuart - always nice to see you posting in the Wildlife Forum, something you need to do more often :S3:. I like the relaxed pose and the direct stare at you. It's also always nice to see a leopard cub. I'm not a fan of the flashed look and I think it is very strong here. The face seems just a tad soft, maybe some more selective sharpening. Finally, I would consider a crop from the rhs to remove the tangled vines.

TFS,
Rachel

Andreas Liedmann
09-28-2012, 10:51 AM
Hi Stuart,
nice to see your not only doing avian.

But sadly i will jump for 100 % on Rachel`s comment.

TFS Andreas

Steve Kaluski
09-28-2012, 12:39 PM
But sadly i will jump for 100 % on Rachel`s comment.

Andreas can you please be more specific on the comment, I'm unclear?

Thanks

Andreas Liedmann
09-28-2012, 01:05 PM
Excuse me Steve and Stuart, i was just lazy to write it with my own words, sorry for that, was talking to my girlfriend and writing a comment, no good idea.

Basically or lets say generally i do not like flash photography , where it is that obvious like here.Too dominant for my eyes.

Like the pose of the cat , hanging very relaxed looking over the trunk.

The whole rest of the image is too busy for my taste, but if would have ever get the chance to take such photo, i would for sure take it.

Maybe toning down the bright parts on the leopard and the shrub on LHS and bottom can help to improve the image , by making it looking less busy.Or even cropping from RHS a tad could help.

Hope that is better for you guys, try to avoid next time.

Cheers Andreas

Marina Scarr
09-28-2012, 09:02 PM
While I am unfamiliar with photographing in Africa and with this kind of flash photography, I rather like this capture. The pose is outstanding, as is the cub's stare. For me the pose is so powerful that it takes my eyes away from the busy RHS.

Stu Bowie
09-29-2012, 03:45 AM
Thanks a stack for your feedback everyone.

Steve Kaluski
09-29-2012, 06:16 AM
Hi Stu, nice to see you on this side.

I too am not a big lover of flash, but I do feel that the strength is about right to illuminate the subject, the environment looks to have been quite dark, so rather than a fill-in flash this needed to be stronger. The pose is nice and this looks to be quite a young Leopard. sadly nothing you can do about the environment/backdrop that's how it is so no issues there. see how the image looks with the RH slider in Levels taken to around 240.

Where are you going in Bots?

TFS
Steve

Russell Johnson
09-29-2012, 08:17 AM
I would echo most of the comments, as I am not a flash fan.

A quick repost with the following

1) Colour Correction - Average Blur
2) Lights-Lights luminosity mask - set new layer to multiply
3) Dodge and burn layer for shadows - Luminosity painting.
4) Crop from the right

Steve Kaluski
09-29-2012, 08:25 AM
Hi Russell, I think this now answers some of the reservations within the feedback/comments, however what does Stu think?

Stu Bowie
09-29-2012, 09:07 AM
Thank you all so much for your input. Ive taken in your points and have come up with this version.

Steve. I will be going to the Mashatu Reserve.

Rachel Hollander
09-29-2012, 09:30 AM
Stuart - repost is a big improvement IMHO. You could go darker in the bg as Russell has done but totally a personal choice.

Cheers,
Rachel

Steve Canuel
09-30-2012, 11:48 AM
Hi Stuart,
Love the wide open eyes on this one. Also like the color tone. They sure do seem to get comfortable up in those trees (a good idea with lions and hyaenas trying to get you and steal your food).

Morkel Erasmus
09-30-2012, 02:36 PM
You handled the exposure well, Stu...does look a bit "flash-flustered", was there an option to use a side-lit spotlight?
Nice-looking cub! Your repost is an improvement. I like Russel's darker feel but think the blacks on the leopard are a bit choked up in his RP. :e3
Good to see you posting here, and expect a lot more "drop-ins" after your trip... :5