PDA

View Full Version : Dagga Bull Scratching an Itch

Rachel Hollander
09-27-2012, 08:09 PM
This Dagga Bull was in the dry riverbed and rubbing his head and horns against the steep bank of the river left by the recent floods in the Timbavati Game Reserve. At times, he sent clouds of dirt showering down on himself.

Canon 7D
100-400 @ 300mm
1/500
f5.6
ISO 800
HH from safari vehicle, levels, curves, selective color adjustments, sharpened in CS5.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Steve Canuel
09-27-2012, 08:48 PM
A different view for these guys. I like the subtle tones and overall texture of this shot.

gail bisson
09-28-2012, 05:34 AM
I like the composition you chose. It works very well. Love the eye and the texture on the horns.
I think this would look awesome in black and white,
Gail

Stu Bowie
09-28-2012, 09:57 AM
Hi Rachel, well exposed, and you have brought out excellent detail on the horns. Isnt it great to be up and close to these large beasts.

Andreas Liedmann
09-28-2012, 10:07 AM
Hi Rachel,
good behavior shot, with nice details throughout the image.Good exposure and nice colors.
Nice contrast with the buff and the surrounding earth tones.

Not sure about the composition, maybe a tad off the top and a bit more below , if you have it.
The sharpening , i think could be a bit more, specially in the fur on the body, there is less definition of the hairs, than in the soil on RHS, think you used a edge mask for sharpening?
There are some (i think) some artifacts of sharpening in the grass on top in the BG, no big deal , but can be reduced.

Good one , Rachel

TFS Andreas

Rachel Hollander
09-28-2012, 10:24 AM
Thanks Steve, Gail, Stuart and Andreas for the kind comments. Andreas - this is full frame. No edge mask, I think the dirt is just on the same plane as the eye and horns. Btw I'm not sure where you are seeing artifacts.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Andreas Liedmann
09-28-2012, 10:47 AM
Hi Rachel,
sorry i meant not artifacts, but i f you look closely the leaves in the BG are not as smooth as the soil, edges are slightly visible. No big deal, just what i think.

The soil in the FG is sharp , which is ok and natural looking, but the fine hairs on the side of the animal are a lot smoother than the soil.You have fine detail in the hairs on the back, but less fine detail in the hairs in other parts of the body, that i why i asked if you have maybe used a edge mask for sharpening.

Still think there is lot more detail visible in the soil than in the subject itself, but it is your image, and that is ok.

Just my thoughts , Rachel. Just asking a question.

Cheers Andreas

Rachel Hollander
09-28-2012, 11:10 AM
Andreas - thanks for clarifying what you meant with respect to the bg. Always happy to have your input. I think I understand what you are saying about the dirt. I experimented and included it in my levels, curves and selective color adjustments based on your comments about the Etosha elephant. :w3 Maybe I then needed to adjust the buff a little more?

Thanks as always,
Rachel

Andreas Liedmann
09-28-2012, 11:27 AM
Rachel i always like to tell my thoughts , sometimes i am off the path,and i am still learning and experimenting a lot. i find it sometimes easier to find some stuff in someone else's images than in my own ones.

Sharpening ? Did you sharpen the whole body of the buff , or just selectively ?

Rachel Hollander
09-28-2012, 12:13 PM
I round to full buff and riverbank then another round selectively to the head and horns of the buff.

Andreas Liedmann
09-28-2012, 12:19 PM
Thanks for info, Rachel.

Cheers Andreas

Andrew Merwin
09-28-2012, 04:30 PM
Rachel,

I like the action captured & the in camera crop.

The image appears a wee bit soft to my eyes also. The SS, 1/500, may have been a bit slow. Do you think there is motion blur from the bull or camera? That said, I sometimes have trouble judging the sharpness of images.

Rachel Hollander
09-28-2012, 04:54 PM
Rachel,

I like the action captured & the in camera crop.

The image appears a wee bit soft to my eyes also. The SS, 1/500, may have been a bit slow. Do you think there is motion blur from the bull or camera? That said, I sometimes have trouble judging the sharpness of images.

Andrew - it certainly could be a bit of motion blur from the bull. He was rubbing his head against the riverbank.

Thanks,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
09-29-2012, 06:03 AM
Hi Rachel, nice to see something different, looks like the trip was fruitful in terms of variety. :S3:

My only contribution would be to reduce the Blue around - 50, add some Selective Neural/Black at around 60% Opacity and if you feel inclined, one more round of USM on the Buf, but personal choice, likewise a slightly tighter crop. Could be some mileage in going B/W or a nice Duo tone. :S3:

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
09-29-2012, 08:38 AM
Thanks Steve. Since a couple of people suggested converting to b&w, here it is converted in CS5.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
09-29-2012, 09:53 AM
Hi Rachel, with something like this, I think you can afford to be a bit more 'gritty' in your approach, perhaps in keeping with this big & moody guy? :S3:

Steve Kaluski
09-29-2012, 11:43 AM
Perhaps Rachel something along these lines, but may have pushed it a little far?